Saturday, July 08, 2006

Busy Saturday

I went to yoga (yay!), dropped off stuff at Salvation Army, vacuumed and washed floors at home, tidied, greeted mom, and helped her unload the five big tubs of veggies and fruit she brought up from the Okanagan (including strawberries, cherries, raspberries, zucchini, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, snap peas, spinach, yellow beans, baby carrots, and a few other things). Then mom and I made a trip to Starbucks, got some groceries (yeah, I know), got a new screen for Leone's window, came home.

Then we went off to London Drugs as the new coffee maker mom brough up for me had a warped lid. While looking to exchange it, I opted to upgrade the coffee maker (mom had bought it for me) to one with a timer. We get up to customer service to do the exchange.

Mom to the woman: Two things, the lid won't close properly (and she tries to mime the problem) and the carafe is too small.

Woman: The lid, what's wrong?

Mom: It won't close. It doesn't line up.

Me (from the background): Warped, it is warped.

Mom (still doing a mime of the lid not closing): it goes over the edge and the other part goes into the carafe...

Woman: It does what?

Me: Warped! WARPED! Just say warped.

Mom: It is warped. Yes.

Woman does a whole bunch of stuff, eventually get the return tag and starts filling it out. A line has started to build behind us.

Woman (starts writing on the slip): "Lid is warped".. and what else?

Me: Nothing. Good enough. Nothing else.

Mom: - the carafe is too small.

Woman: The what?

Mom: Carafe.

Woman: Carafe?

Mom points to picture on the box: The carafe. It isn't broken, it just isn't what I had thought. It said 12 cups, but they are using a weird idea of cups because this only has 54 ounces and..

Me (hissing at mom): Dear god, let's not go here! Just stick with the lid!

Mom nods in agreement.

Woman: No, what is the other problem? What is it?? What!

Mom: Not broken, just annoying - the carafe..

Woman: The what?

Me: POT! COFFEE POT!!

Mom: Oh yes! (relief) The coffee pot is too small!

Woman: Ah, the pot is too small.

*other customer service woman has gone to solve equally long problem. There is now a line of five behind us. The exchange is almost done though.*

Suddenly,

Woman: Oh, where did that go?

Mom and I had thought we were about to get out of there.

Woman: I've lot the return tag.

She spends a few minutes looking for the return info tag. And no, we don't have it. And no, it didn't fall down on our side...

Woman: Okay, (writes on new tag) "Lid is.." What? What was wrong with the lid?


Um, but I have a nice new coffee maker.

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura Barth said...

Yikes! As if returning stuff isn't stressful enough. Well, at least you got a coffee maker that will have your java ready for you in the morning. Enjoy your mom's visit and all that fresh produce. Yum :)

7:52 a.m.  
Blogger Laurie said...

Hee! Great story.

And, yum! Five big tubs of veggies and fruit! And new coffee maker. And groceries from Starbucks.

Wheeee!!!

8:36 a.m.  
Blogger Melly said...

Oh boy!

Can you send your mom to visit me? I want fresh Okanagan produce too.

9:18 a.m.  
Blogger Dogeared said...

Are you sure you didn't slip into a paralleluniverse where life is one big TV show, and you started acting out a comedy sketch?

Cos I think that'd make a good one...

And I started mentally drooling erading the list of fruits and veggies.

9:36 a.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

That exchange is so ridiculous it sounds like a skit, not a real-life tale.

9:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it annoying when people aren't familiar with a word you use every day? Because, really, "carafe" isn't a terribly uncommon word. For whatever reason, I've started calling potatoes "tubers." The produce man at the grocery store has no idea what I'm talking about.

7:25 a.m.  
Blogger CosmicAvatar said...

Oh, dear. That was somewhat farcical...

1:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home