Mixed Tapes
Well, it isn't. But it is a mixed CD that I've just made for Podgy. And it is awesome. I have that excited feeling about sending it to her. The whole thing is Ani Difranco and much more mellow than I would have thought I was going to do - but these are my favorite songs of hers. I think I'll make her a second CD of a bit more upbeat bopping around the house kind songs. This is more sitting and knitting/reading Bitch Magazine/thinking kind of CD.
And for those of you who know Ani:
Not a Pretty Girl
Hour Follows Hour
You Had Time
Shy
Everest
Swan Dive
Independance Day
Cloud Blood
Providence (w/Prince)
Trickle Down
Freakshow
Adam and Eve
Hello Birmingham
Serpentine
And because I'm in that mood where I would, at another time in my life, write out all the lyrics for her (did you all do that too - back then it was always for a boy. But that was back then...):
I am not a pretty girl. That is not what I do. I am no damsal in distress. And I don't need to be rescued. So put me down punk, wouldn't you prefer a maiden fair. Isn't there a kitten stuck up a tree somewhere?
Hour follows hour, like water follows water. Everything is governed by the law that one thing leads to another...
And you will take the heavy stuff, and you will drive the car. I'll look out the window and make jokes about the way things are.
Back in the city, the sun bakes trash on the curb. The young men are pissing in doorways and the rats are running in herds. I got a dream of your face and it scares me awake. I put too much on the table and now I've got too much at stake.
So I take a few steps back and put on a wider lens. And it changes your skin, your sex, and what you're wearing. Distance shows your silhouette to be a lot like mine.
I've got a lack of inhibition, I've got a lack of perspective, I've had a little bit to drink and it's making me think - that I can jump ship and swim, that the ocean can hold me, that there's got to be more than this boat I'm in.
And did I tell you how I stopped eating? When you stopped calling me. And I was cramped up and shitting rivers for weeks and pretending that I was finally free.
...
Yeah, I'm totally making a copy of this for at work.
And for those of you who know Ani:
Not a Pretty Girl
Hour Follows Hour
You Had Time
Shy
Everest
Swan Dive
Independance Day
Cloud Blood
Providence (w/Prince)
Trickle Down
Freakshow
Adam and Eve
Hello Birmingham
Serpentine
And because I'm in that mood where I would, at another time in my life, write out all the lyrics for her (did you all do that too - back then it was always for a boy. But that was back then...):
I am not a pretty girl. That is not what I do. I am no damsal in distress. And I don't need to be rescued. So put me down punk, wouldn't you prefer a maiden fair. Isn't there a kitten stuck up a tree somewhere?
Hour follows hour, like water follows water. Everything is governed by the law that one thing leads to another...
And you will take the heavy stuff, and you will drive the car. I'll look out the window and make jokes about the way things are.
Back in the city, the sun bakes trash on the curb. The young men are pissing in doorways and the rats are running in herds. I got a dream of your face and it scares me awake. I put too much on the table and now I've got too much at stake.
So I take a few steps back and put on a wider lens. And it changes your skin, your sex, and what you're wearing. Distance shows your silhouette to be a lot like mine.
I've got a lack of inhibition, I've got a lack of perspective, I've had a little bit to drink and it's making me think - that I can jump ship and swim, that the ocean can hold me, that there's got to be more than this boat I'm in.
And did I tell you how I stopped eating? When you stopped calling me. And I was cramped up and shitting rivers for weeks and pretending that I was finally free.
...
Yeah, I'm totally making a copy of this for at work.


4 Comments:
Eeeee! Thank you! Wheee! I'm hoping you'll like the one I'm sending you...it's far more eclectic (mixy!) and kinda sad in places, but kinda fun in others. And I also have a copy for my car. *gin*
Mix CDs are cool - I exchanged CDs with an American friend from another posting board. I sent a few to Dellraven, and I have a few for another person, once I get my ass in gear and post them!
I was listening to some old Puddle Dive stuff tonight on a mix with Feist. What else was on there? [checking playlist] Kathleen Edwards, Sarah Harmer, Neko Case. Hawksley Workman (sex god). Rufus Wainwright (sex god too). Martha Wainwright- oh, Jenn my sweet, have you heard Martha's song Bloody Mother F***ing A**hole ? Because if you haven't, you'd better get to it!
I just noticed something- other than the Ani on my list, the others are all Canadians.
Hmnnn.
Let me now tie that into an "I Am Canadian" moment. Wait, no.
Happy almost-Canada Day though :)
I just got Martha Wainwright! She is freshly loaded onto my mp3 player.
And what is really interesting is that Marissa was the first person to introduce me to Ani - through an actual mixed tape :)
Post a Comment
<< Home