Saturday, May 27, 2006

Pondering - Okay, a rant.

Does it really take all that much longer to type out the a and e in "are"? And the word "you" - I hadn't known the Y and O were so very very troublesome; they are so troublesome they must also be left out of your.

Let's not get started on the Shift Key. Oh that pinky finger, having to work so hard.

I have people mail me at work, asking for my help, who are unable to type out the full words necessary to get that help. I have students wanting to email me their completed assignments with all those pesky words written in full, but the accompanying email devoid of capitol letters or punctuation.

Why, I ask you. WHY???


When people send me email or post on a forum in such a manner, I assume they are either borderline simple or extremely lazy. And not the good lazy. The sloppy lazy.

[/end rant]

5 Comments:

Blogger Lorelei said...

I'm with Tara - everyone's spelling on the Internets is so bad, it's depressing. Especially on dating websites.

Don't ask me how I know that.

1:25 p.m.  
Blogger Dogeared said...

On an Alias website I got to, there're some people who do the u r thing. But one goes further, and talks like:

"Yea n dat sucks, wiv all da shit n stuff."

Plus, she's so desperate for attention that she's set up 3 groups threads now (there's a sub forum for groups, different clubs). She's had two of her threads closed because they're just random, topic free groups and there are already a few of those groups (and she belongs to at least one I think!).

Reading her posts is actually painful. Content aside, it's the writing that just makes my brain hurt.

So yeah, I could quite happily hit a few people with the spelling/punctuation/grammar stick. We all make mistakes, but some people need a good whack with the stick.

3:02 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ooh, I never thought of that. I'm prepping for my class right now; I should add that to my syllabus. "Proper grammar is a must!"

4:48 p.m.  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

You sing it!

My mother has lost the use of her shift key and can't seem to get it back.

So now I'm stuck thinking my mother's an idiot every time she sends me e-mail. Her explanation (the first and only time I've ever talk to her about it) was, "I was told not to use capitals in e-mail, because people think you're shouting at them."

I explained that SHOUTING LOOKS LIKE THIS, but she is sticking firmly to her guns.

8:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not even a grammar nazi and I loathe typing like that. I just won't read it. Any time I try to read such a reprehensible pile of trash I get distracted by imagining how the person must talk, and my mental image is inevitably of a slack-jawed, hygenically challenged teenager in a Slayer t-shirt.
I could go on. But I can't.
By the way, many yahoos and yippees (not the Anakin Skywalker types) on your massively eventful year-to-date!

12:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home