Sunday, October 24, 2004

Chuck The Cat

No, no. That is not a request for action. That is, rather, the newest member of the household. Some of you won't know this but dear sweet Mr. Pooks had to be put to sleep last December as his health was failing. I was a total mess over that and certainly not up for another kitty right away. But this summer Coral went to visit her dad and he had a number of new kitties out in the barn so she picked out the cutest of the bunch: orange and white swirly tabby we've named Chuck. Technically Chuck is Coral's cat, but that doesn't stop me from kissing his head and nibbling on his ears and making him love me, dammit! Sometimes he tries to run away so he can attack the other older cat, Ativan the Avenger. He rides her like a pony and she scrambles about the house trying to get away. She's looking much more lean and healthy lately what with the enforced exercise and all.

So Chuck. Chuck the insane, sucky, ADHD, snuggly kitten. He is now coming up on six months and is showing his true nature. He is a total baby. Any time I'm sitting he needs to be in my lap - well, more like he needs to be climbing my chest trying to get to my hair. He loves my hair. Kinda strange-like. He tries to eat my hair. He also loves water. Sits in the shower while you're in there. Jumps up on the sink in the bathroom when you're brushing your teeth. Must spit around the cat. Over and over I walk into the kitchen and see his head poke out of the sink where he'll keep licking as fast as possible until the last second when I'll be able to reach him - then he takes off running. On a rather regular basis he'll jump up on my lap and I'm like "where have you BEEN?? You're soaking wet!" And he loves it. No point trying to spray him with the water bottle. *doh*

But then there is the other, more darker side of a kitten in the house. He has no problem with sitting on the kitchen counters licking the peanut butter knife or honey spoon or whatever is handy until we are within reach, thought it was fun to take the trailing plant for a walk by tugging it off the shelf and then running with the long piece that broke off, drags everything he can out of the bathroom garbage and then shreds the tissues all over the house, drinks from our glasses and eats off our plates if we are not watching, one night systematically pulled one sock after another out of the clean laundry basket through the little holes along the side, will happily drag panties and bras from bedrooms into the living room where he sleeps on them (bit of a perv), and this morning when he was out of food decided to sound like a baby elephant running about the living room at 7:30am. It is SUNDAY!

But good god he is cute.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I hear you on the whole bathroom garbage thing. Ollie dog had/has the weird penchant for the bathroom rubbish. To the point that if there door was open, he'd gomin, and get the rubbish (it's a pedal bin), and merrilu chew it all up, even trailing stuff around the house behind him. Two girls in the house, and his favourite of the rubbish delicacies was sanitary towels...

Vicky was actually downstairs with a guest once, and Ollie pottered down the stairs with a sanitary towel stuck to his foot. Needless to say, Vicky was mortified, but got away with saying it was cotton wool.

And Gemma and Jon (my friends) have two newly grown up cats (only just out of kittenhood) and they love jumping onto the sink and watching the water. I think it's a cat thing.

TMI? Oh well.

Callie

12:48 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

Our dog, when she was young, took to chewing things up and being clumsy. She ruined an expensive SCART cable and an iron in her youth. She did settle down, though. I hope Chuck does the same soon!

1:35 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss my kitties. :(
That was the on topic part. Apro po of your recent reading, what did you think of "In Search of April Raintree"? Recently I was thinking about that book for some reason no one can explain, except, perhaps, through a psychic connection to you. Anyway, opinion first, onegaishimasu. er. Please.
*has been here too long*
Dani

5:22 a.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Oh yes, we now put feminine products in the kitchen garbage with the big heavy lid [rolleyes] only need that to happen once, I tell ya. His latest game, though, is the curtains. As we didn't have any real curtains in our last place (holes in the ground don't tend to have windows big enough to curtain them) and now as we're in a big wonderful house with real above-groundness, we've got curtains. He comes flying from the other room the moment he hears them moving and promptly hangs from them with the most obvious delight. *sigh* no amount of "NONONO!" or spanky bottom does any good. He'll also sit behind them and attack the other cat through the curtains.

9:23 a.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Hi Dani, I was actually thinking about your kitties when I made the Chuck post. I guess just about how hard it is to leave them. I've very aware of Chuck being Coral's cat and that one day I'll have to move and he'll not go with me *sad*

As for the book, I'm using it for my thesis. This reminds me that I should do a thesis topic post. Quick reply is that I liked the book for what it was - an important step in First Nations Women's literature. But I also view it within a context of evolution and tranformation. So while there exists a possiblity of reading this story as validation to many of the charges against First Nations communities, the responsibility ultimately falls upon the reader to understand the manifestation of colonial legacies within the stories. I think the book is amazing for its ability to raise difficult questions and really push into the internal struggles of both individuals and of community. And ultimately the book has some very key explorations of identity which are useful for my work.

Soo, that was my quick reply *doh*

10:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounded like you were writing your thesis!

Now I can't even pretend to know what you're on about I'm afraid, so I shall nod and mm-hmmm and smile in all the right places [grin]

I do offer proof-reading if you wish [up]

Gem and Jon's cats like to sit on the window sill (when the curtains are drawn or open), so if you pat the curtain when they're hidden behind it, they pat back and try to catch 'the attacker'.

Good fun.

I'm always amazed how they can run up to the wall and jump up on the windowsill, jumping *under* the hanging curtain (it hangs below the sill). I'd knock my head if it were me...

Callie

12:05 p.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

Hm, I've already told you how Spike can 'be one' with the dish rack, or how he got a bean stuck to his face last night (he really doesn't care about the low-protein diet he needs to stick to!) but I do think the two days Spike and Chuck spent together as kittens, between Spike beating the snot out of Chuck, maybe they bonded in their evil kitteness abilities. Hm. Gotta go.

8:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Charles said...

Wow, there's really much effective information above!
privateschoolsindallas.org | individual dental insurance massachusetts | New York City Limo Services

7:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home