Happy Turkey Day
To all my canadian friends especially vicki all far away in the land of American Turkey In November, and to my sweetness Marissa whom I've missed like crazy and I actually bounced up and down in my seat when I saw her comment here. We are so overdue for one of our old three hour phone conversations, it isn't even funny!
So, I actually spent the Canadian Turkey day in the car with my mom driving down to her house, as she had spent the weekend with Leone and I up north and I figured it would be nice for her to have some company and I need a little break from school. I've just arrived with her and I'll spend the next week visiting with mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, and some various school friends I've not seen since the spring. We did the dinner deal yesterday so we'd have today to travel. Dinner was great and gave Coral and I a wonderful little push towards some final shifting of boxes and unpacking as there were people coming over. We had just moved into a new place Oct 1st. (oh my oh my! suddenly realising some of the viewership here and how much backstory would be missing! *boggle at the concept* All in all, Coral and I are best friends and will be forever best friends and have been roommates for the past year and a half. I know I will have to fill in more later. But the quick of it is we make most excellent roommates and have just rented a kickass three bedroom full house with basement and yard and trees with pretty leaves. I'll fill in further on the daytime soap that is my little ol normal life as we go *grin*)
So while chatting with Jim on the phone yesterday, I realised with dating someone from another country (even if it is the States) is how any traits or traditions or facts I talk about have the potential as standing for the characteristics of my entire country.
Jim asked what we were having for Thanksgiving dinner. I reply "ham and lots of veggies." He then starts in about "wow, different traditions and isn't that neat and on and on... In America we all eat turkey for Thanksgiving."
Um, yeah. They do in Canada too. As tempting as it is to totally wonk up Jim's ideas about Canadians (enter obvious discussion here about the already wonky ideas americans have about canadians), I quickly corrected the misconception before he was set up for an unfortunate discussion with some random canadian in NYC. I could just see him going on about our interesting canadian traditions of Ham for thanksgiving and Wild Canadian Cariboo for all holidays starting with a 'C'. (Although some hacks have been known to start using the Farmed Canadian Cariboo, but those of us with any real canadian heritage know that the farmed stock is really somewhat lacking in taste and antlerage.)
He's so sweet about actually keeping track of different things about canadians (really attempting to understand our somewhat chip-on-shoulder attitude when it comes to the States) so I'm as good as I can be. (Kisses to Jim)
As for the ham and veggies, it was just that mom said the last thing she felt like doing was cooking a Turkey. Especially since every time she comes to visit us up north she brings all the food she'll need for her whole visit with her. No, really. And although I have explained that we have grocery stores like all the other cities down south.... still she comes with a carload of food. I think she just didn't make a turkey because it wouldn't have fit in the cooler.
So happy day to all and I'll certainly be trying to find those random minutes here and there where dad isn't glued to the computer to catch up more with everyone. I'm so happy to see so many dear wonderful friends here that I get warm fuzzies and I'm a massive-huge cheeseball, I know.
XoXo
jenn
So, I actually spent the Canadian Turkey day in the car with my mom driving down to her house, as she had spent the weekend with Leone and I up north and I figured it would be nice for her to have some company and I need a little break from school. I've just arrived with her and I'll spend the next week visiting with mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, and some various school friends I've not seen since the spring. We did the dinner deal yesterday so we'd have today to travel. Dinner was great and gave Coral and I a wonderful little push towards some final shifting of boxes and unpacking as there were people coming over. We had just moved into a new place Oct 1st. (oh my oh my! suddenly realising some of the viewership here and how much backstory would be missing! *boggle at the concept* All in all, Coral and I are best friends and will be forever best friends and have been roommates for the past year and a half. I know I will have to fill in more later. But the quick of it is we make most excellent roommates and have just rented a kickass three bedroom full house with basement and yard and trees with pretty leaves. I'll fill in further on the daytime soap that is my little ol normal life as we go *grin*)
So while chatting with Jim on the phone yesterday, I realised with dating someone from another country (even if it is the States) is how any traits or traditions or facts I talk about have the potential as standing for the characteristics of my entire country.
Jim asked what we were having for Thanksgiving dinner. I reply "ham and lots of veggies." He then starts in about "wow, different traditions and isn't that neat and on and on... In America we all eat turkey for Thanksgiving."
Um, yeah. They do in Canada too. As tempting as it is to totally wonk up Jim's ideas about Canadians (enter obvious discussion here about the already wonky ideas americans have about canadians), I quickly corrected the misconception before he was set up for an unfortunate discussion with some random canadian in NYC. I could just see him going on about our interesting canadian traditions of Ham for thanksgiving and Wild Canadian Cariboo for all holidays starting with a 'C'. (Although some hacks have been known to start using the Farmed Canadian Cariboo, but those of us with any real canadian heritage know that the farmed stock is really somewhat lacking in taste and antlerage.)
He's so sweet about actually keeping track of different things about canadians (really attempting to understand our somewhat chip-on-shoulder attitude when it comes to the States) so I'm as good as I can be. (Kisses to Jim)
As for the ham and veggies, it was just that mom said the last thing she felt like doing was cooking a Turkey. Especially since every time she comes to visit us up north she brings all the food she'll need for her whole visit with her. No, really. And although I have explained that we have grocery stores like all the other cities down south.... still she comes with a carload of food. I think she just didn't make a turkey because it wouldn't have fit in the cooler.
So happy day to all and I'll certainly be trying to find those random minutes here and there where dad isn't glued to the computer to catch up more with everyone. I'm so happy to see so many dear wonderful friends here that I get warm fuzzies and I'm a massive-huge cheeseball, I know.
XoXo
jenn


9 Comments:
Happy Thanksgiving, sweet thing!
I just cannot get used to the idea of Thanksgiving in October. It is the only Canadian tradition I simply can't embrace. I do enjoy the three day weekend aspect, but then I have to mourn the loss of the four day weekend in November. October is just too early for turkey and creamed onions and stuffing and too much pie! (Okay, no such thing as too much pie, sorry)
We don't do Thanksgiving in my house. That has to do with my stepsons being hockey players. There was always a hockey tournament that weekend, so no big dinner plans. The last few years I have celebrated Thanksgiving along with the Americans. Tom always asks for "the American Thanksgiving" and although it has to be held on Saturday or Sunday instead of the traditional Thursday, it feels right somehow.
But hey! I went to a hockey game today. That counts on my Canadian checklist, right?
Ah, but think of it this way. You get back to school in Sept, Thanksgiving in Oct as a reward for making it through the first five or six weeks of school, and then Nov to relax before having to prep for Christmas. I am always struck by how rushed it would be to have TG in November. That's time to start thinking about Santa.
And I'm afraid I'm not the right girl to ask about hockey and canadian check lists. Now, if it were curling...
xoxo
Glad to hear that you had a great Thanksgiving, ours was pre-empted with the wedding gift opening that was as much fun as watching paint dry ..*grin* The only good thing was the food...Ham,turkey, home made sausage, cabbage rolls and perogies..yummy. It was so good to see you, and as always you did a fantastic job!!I was sad to see you and Coral leave,as I am sure we could have easily danced the night away. Talk to you when you get home...
C and c
Happy Thanksgiving!!
What do I have to do to become an honorary Canadian then? Half of Mum's aunts and uncles (and all their sprogs) are in Canada...
Callie
I believe you just click your heels together three times while repeating "I am Canadian" - no, wait. I'm mixing stuff up aren't I?
Although, do keep in mind that with our new laws you could just come here and I could marry you *grin*
Oh, and hello to Cali and baby. He needs his own blog - that is the latest in cool baby activities. He's so far beyond drooling and trying to get into the fireplace. I'm glad you survived the weekend and the wedding was beautiful. But I'm sure you are loving having your sister all married and back in her own town and not asking you over and over again if that particular 'blue' is 'blue' enough. Or was it purple *grin*
xoxo
jenn
Hi Sweetie!
I'm glad you appreciate me being all sensitive and stuff to you being from Canadia, and being understanding about all those things that you do weird in Canadia. I do think it's important to accept that not every place can be the US.
*nods*
Jim
I didn't even realise Canada had Thanksgiving until last year. This year I experienced it first hand, as a Canadian friend from Uni cooked up a huge feast for 12. It was lovely, and I am now an official convert to all things Canadian (not that I wasn't before, but I have discovered a hitherto unknown love of pumpkin pie).
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
since i live in a larger city, i think mom doesn't bring as much food to my house as yours - just a box or two of cereal, container of muffins, 3 or 4 bags of rice crisps... she buys the rest at the safeway right by my house - before she actually arrives at my house.
Post a Comment
<< Home