Blog Activities and Manners
So, for those of you who have blogs I was wondering about some of the particulars of blogging. I mean, I have this thing now and I'm seeming to be blabbing away as per normal, so is this about right?
Yes, yes. I know there is no 'right' way to do this, blah blah blah. But all that aside, is this right? I'm just popping in every here and there and I keep thinking I"m going to follow a set theme. My dear friend Dani (Hi dani!) has a live journal - which I just typed as liver journal which would be, well, strange - that I quiet enjoyed reading when she first got herself all off to Japan. Then my life hit a really bad section and I lost the link to it. See, she had all these real things to talk about and places she was going and stuff she was doing.
This will not be the case here.
And I've just really started to read/follow Calli's blog (Hi Callie!) and I enjoy that tonnes. I like hearing all these little tidbits about her life. I like knowing what books she's reading and what her day has been like.
So, any feedback along the way would be great. I think I understand why people read blogs now. I think the secret is to keep it to those of people you like. I tried to follow some blogs of people I didn't really know and I found it boring. I won't name names (send me an email/PM and I'll spill the beans *grin*), but I am going to stick to a few key blogs. I need to keep it tight *nods*
Oh yes, questions. So when people reply to your blog, do you reply back to each of them? Sometimes it seems the comments can stand on their own, but is it rude if the blogger doesn't reply? Why yes, I am Canadian. Why do you ask?
How often do people tend to post on these things? Is there any feeling that there should be no more than one post a day or anything?
How far back to people keep track of new comments and whatnot? I should do that thing where it emails me when someone makes a comment, shouldn't I? That way I won't obsessively keep going back to old posts worried that someone has commented and I haven't seen their reply.
How many questions can you put in a post without it really needing to go to the WD as a BoQ? I realise to some of you that last statement is in total gibberish. Rl friends and family, meet my WD friends and family who are also very real life, but different. I'll expand on that more later *grin*.
And finally, can I expand the margins so the typing spreads out across more of the screen? I feel this post is going to be stupid long and I want to make the entries less narrow.
XoXo
Jenn
Yes, yes. I know there is no 'right' way to do this, blah blah blah. But all that aside, is this right? I'm just popping in every here and there and I keep thinking I"m going to follow a set theme. My dear friend Dani (Hi dani!) has a live journal - which I just typed as liver journal which would be, well, strange - that I quiet enjoyed reading when she first got herself all off to Japan. Then my life hit a really bad section and I lost the link to it. See, she had all these real things to talk about and places she was going and stuff she was doing.
This will not be the case here.
And I've just really started to read/follow Calli's blog (Hi Callie!) and I enjoy that tonnes. I like hearing all these little tidbits about her life. I like knowing what books she's reading and what her day has been like.
So, any feedback along the way would be great. I think I understand why people read blogs now. I think the secret is to keep it to those of people you like. I tried to follow some blogs of people I didn't really know and I found it boring. I won't name names (send me an email/PM and I'll spill the beans *grin*), but I am going to stick to a few key blogs. I need to keep it tight *nods*
Oh yes, questions. So when people reply to your blog, do you reply back to each of them? Sometimes it seems the comments can stand on their own, but is it rude if the blogger doesn't reply? Why yes, I am Canadian. Why do you ask?
How often do people tend to post on these things? Is there any feeling that there should be no more than one post a day or anything?
How far back to people keep track of new comments and whatnot? I should do that thing where it emails me when someone makes a comment, shouldn't I? That way I won't obsessively keep going back to old posts worried that someone has commented and I haven't seen their reply.
How many questions can you put in a post without it really needing to go to the WD as a BoQ? I realise to some of you that last statement is in total gibberish. Rl friends and family, meet my WD friends and family who are also very real life, but different. I'll expand on that more later *grin*.
And finally, can I expand the margins so the typing spreads out across more of the screen? I feel this post is going to be stupid long and I want to make the entries less narrow.
XoXo
Jenn


11 Comments:
Hi you. Here I am, your dear friend.
achem. I'm hardly a professional blogger, but I can answer for myself. I feel badly that I don't update the page everyone liked. Sigh. I suck. anyway.
I don't reply back to everyone, usually just those comments that either need a reply, or that I have some witty reparte for. I post for the same reasons, mostly. Because I want to, and if I want to more than once a day I do. I also use it to leave messages for people and share files etc. Locked posts can be wonderful. I'm sure this blogger must let you do that?
And finally, I get comment notifications. I read all the comments and reply as per above.
Most people on LJ have more than one blog, too, so as not to bug non-suchandsuch friends with suchandsuch posts.
OK- don't panic, Blogger is whatever you want to use it for. If you want to list your meals each day, you can do. If you want to howl at some of your students' offerings, you can do.
Re: replying to comments- it depends. If someone has asked me a question in their reply, I'll reply and answer it. I never know whether they'll check back and see it though. You could leave one reply and answer severl other people's replies if you wanted to, or make a quick post and answer them- that way you know they'll see it.
I've forgotten what else you said. I tried to change to email notification of replies, and didn't quite alter my template correctly. When i get broadband, I'll try again.
You can get password protected Blogs, the first time I tried it didn't work, the second time it half worked. Again, when I get broadband I'll try.
Erm. Oh- margins. If you want to PM me your template (just go to your template and copy and paste it into a PM), I'll see about changing the margins. I've changed mine in the past, changed the colours and even font. I also wanted my margin on the left rather than the right. I changed my friend Dan's Blog, by logging into her account (it was easier, as she's in Japan and not a WDer), and then I presume she's changed the password like I suggested (no matetr if not, I'm not going to be logging in).
Ramble ramble....
Erm yeah- Blog away to your heart's content. When you've got something you want to say, say it. Don't worry you have to Blog every day or even once a week. Whenever you want to is fine- it's your Blog. As for number per day- I've sometimes done two in a day, and then forgotten something so just done a quick one or two liner. If I do two it's usually because I don't want one humungous essay where people go to reply and forget all the things they wanted to comment on (you've not done that, my brain's just like a sieve right now, honest!)
Hope this has answered all your questions chick. And your name mention made me grin. Woohoo!
Callie [snuggles]
Yeah, quite quickly I thought about having one blog for certain friends and another blog for others. I am very aware of a funny mixture potentially taking place here - let alone if my dad is lurking away somewhere here. (And if so, Hi dad!)
But then I realised I was already taking a HUGE step in actually getting one blog, why make my brain explode with two. Simon will just have to somehow settle for a rather limited amount of nekkid jello wrestling. (Hi Simon!)
Not to mention a wide selection of my friends wondering why The Bears are posting on my blog *grin* (Hi Bears!)
You know Callie, I was actually thinking that there seems to be a function where I can add people to the 'admin' level on my blog and my first thought was "I wonder if I could add Callie and she could help me make this more how I wanted it?"
I could bribe you with glory, but that's about it. And no, I'm not really sure there is all that much glory to be found on my blog. But you never know [/hopeful]
XoXo to all,
Jenn
Callie pretty much covered everything. I think you should get e-mail reply updates, though. It makes my Blurtying life a lot easier - they even allow me to reply to those replies through my e-mail address (but not at work)!
There is such a thing as a "bloq" - another P@ term! - which is a BOQ in a blog. I've done one in the past. BOQs are free! They don't just belong to the WD!
And you are blogging great at the moment. Yes, you are.
"And if you call, I will be there
You wish is my command [wink]. Seriously, I'm happy to try and help. I'm not an expert at rejigging Blogs, but I've done enough on mine. I want to add a few photos to mine, it's just a case of getting time.
A good website to check for self-taught changing, is W3schools (http://w3schools.com).
But yes, if I can help I will. For glory or just snuggles [grin]
Callie
Jenn said hello to us in her blog!
*much bouncing up and down of Bears*
Hello to you, Jenn!
When are you coming to visit again? We're making sure Jim keeps the place nice, and puts all his books away. So you don't have to be scared or anything.
We use the opposite approach to our blog than one of the approaches you said. You said some people have multiple blogs. We are multiple Bears with one blog. That gives it diversitoo.
OK Bye
The Bears
Hiya Jenn, it's been forever...
This is Marissa,your (almost) roomie and friend from way back before I had a kid and you were all professionally schooled and...
then we turned 30. What happened to the last 4 years, I wanna know?
Can you e-mail or blog about everything... your health... didn't know about the surgery. Last I heard you were staying with someone in New York.
E- me. Or blog more so I can catch up... it's been a busy several years, but I have missed you!
Love,
M
My blog has the same template as yours (with different colors) and I widened my margins already. So, if you go to mine and View Source you should be able to find the info. Or I can find it and PM you instructions. Unless Callie takes care of it first. Just tell me!
Oh, viewing source is both fun and makes me all [crazy2] at the same time. But I especially like the part where I need to get myself to a dr's appt in 45 min and I've not dressed yet. This is much more interesting.
I think the best rule about having a blog is to do it for yourself and for your own reasons.
Post a Comment
<< Home