Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I Clean Therefore I Am.

What is it with me and cleaning. Please note: roommates and sisters are not allowed to comment on this post. *rolleyes*

Yeah, okay. Feel free. But I think I figured part of it out today. So I'm all on 'holiday' so I only brought five books and my current chapter to work on while on 'holiday'... yeah. And I've battled myself over the past two days about how much I'm not to do or going to try and do and blah blah blah. Main point: I've not worked on my thesis for DAYS and it is making me all with the wiggins. So this afternoon I cleaned my parents' house. Vacuumed the entire first floor and basement, tidied, did the kitchen, quick wipe down of the bathroom. I feel much better now.

Cleaning is excellent for when I'm thinking "now what have I actually DONE today?" Cleaning lets me do something and SEE it done. Very satisfying in that manner. Much more rewarding in some ways than spending the same 90 minutes trying to think up that single perfect word I need for that single frustrating sentence - and then not getting it and just leaving the work with 'nothing' done.

A friend in the grad office also talks about it in terms of your mind wanting you to literally 'clear a space' or 'organise a space' for clear and organised thinking. That the act of sorting and cleaning and moving physical objects has an impact on what your brains is always working on (my thesis) and its organisation and completion. I like the idea of that too.

But all in all, the house looks great and I've earned a walk downtown to buy green tea and maybe some overpriced sushi for a late lunch/early dinner.

xoxo
jenn

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. Although not so much with the cleaning, I'll have a tidy of my workspace/room. Once that space is neater/organised, I'll try and do something. Maybe your brain feels stiffled when facing the blank page, but can roam and wander, mull over the problem while you're trying to shuffle your DVDs so you can squeeze them all on one shelf, or put all your clean clothes away?

Dunno, just reaching there ;-)

Callie

2:52 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

I see your point, becuse myself, I find the ironing very relaxing. Possibly because I take ages over it!

Also, I've never had sushi.

4:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find cleaning very relaxing.

Especially when you are here.

As otherwise, you start to give me the *raised eyebrow*. And it's hard to relax when you are giving me the *raised eyebrow*.

Jim

PS But maybe I fall into the sister and/or rooommate category, and I wasn't supposed to comment on this post.

3:34 a.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Hey Callie, Yeah I think it something like that. The act of moving stuff around while your brain tries to move the words around in your head.

Simon - hmm, I didn't jump right into eating sushi - I should note. I started with 'cheater' sushi without any raw fish and then when that seemed all good and yummy I went for salmon and tuna. Those two in particular are very mild and tender. Although, I didn't get sushi the other day because when I came back around the place to eat it had closed for the break before dinner (as places do in this smaller town). I was kinda bummed. But on a good note I found a used book I was looking for and it was in mint condition (not even creased on the front page) and half price.

My dear Jim. I don't know what you mean. I never give you the eyebrow about cleaning...



*crickets*



maybe once or twice.

10:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or maybe by clearing out physical space we defer the actual clearing of mental space. hmm?

and maybe you just have issues :) i mean, maybe you tormented your sisters for years with this and you still come over over and stare at their dirty dishes until they let you wash them and um.... not that this is your sister or anything. i mean look, it's an anonymous post.

12:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Buck said...

This can't succeed as a matter of fact, that is exactly what I believe.
Duncan real estate | cataract surgery recovery | Duncan real estate

9:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home