I can post this now
I've let a bit of time pass so I could write this without totally dissolving into profanity. But yes, that is what someone with parkinson's looks like/moves. I don't know if anyone would really think Michael J Fox would fake or overplay his symptoms to do a TV commercial (and to not take his meds results in a very different issue of mobility) - but I thought I could just clear this up right here. And I don't believe anyone who reads this blog is a real supporter of Limbaugh, but now if you are talking to an asshat and you need some personal experience to back yourself up with - you can say your friend confirmed this for you.
I didn't like Rush Libaugh before, but that was about all sorts of other things that now have no real meaning. Now? Now he is a write off. He is a waste of organic materials. He is not a good human being. Seeing him mock Michael J Fox, my dad having parkinson's, the impact of research on my dad's quality of life...
My dad was diagnosed with parkinson's at 39. He has done the conventional drugs, the unconventional, the brain surgery, and the test drugs. He had complications that almost killed him last month. He looks a whole lot like Michael looked on that commercial. There are days and months that are a whole lot worse. My dad is 60 years old.
So needless to say I had to wait a while - and even now I take a few breaks to type this out.
I didn't like Rush Libaugh before, but that was about all sorts of other things that now have no real meaning. Now? Now he is a write off. He is a waste of organic materials. He is not a good human being. Seeing him mock Michael J Fox, my dad having parkinson's, the impact of research on my dad's quality of life...
My dad was diagnosed with parkinson's at 39. He has done the conventional drugs, the unconventional, the brain surgery, and the test drugs. He had complications that almost killed him last month. He looks a whole lot like Michael looked on that commercial. There are days and months that are a whole lot worse. My dad is 60 years old.
So needless to say I had to wait a while - and even now I take a few breaks to type this out.


11 Comments:
I know. And it just makes me so mad that people actually believe the crap he spews.
Sometimes it seems that human compassion is in short supply in this country.
I hear you. I was completely dumbfounded by the indecency of those statements. I'm still a bit speechless.
My grandfather had it (died of pneumonia at 98, but had been completely immobile for about 15 years when he died. My uncle (not blood-related to my grandfather)now has it and is in a nursing home.
Not having seen the clip/ad you're talking about, and not actually knowing who Rush Limbaugh is, I can only imagine how Parkinson's was portrayed. I'm sorry that you were hurt and made angry by it though. By the sounds of it, it's just pure ignorance.
I haven't seen the ad you refer to, but a cursory glance on the internet informed me of Limbaugh's statements and his pathetic attempts at beckpedalling.
That there is such ignorance in the world continues to dumbfound me.
[hug]
I watched the Michael J. Fox spot when all the hubbub started. I knew what Parkinson's is and what it does, but I was not prepared to see it. I bawled my eyes out. To think of seeing someone I love...I can't. My imagination doesn't go that far. I want to tell you I'm sorry but it sounds empty and not right. Impalement is too good for Limbaugh.
I hadn't seen the ad. Now I have. Rush is not worth the space he takes up in life and I am sorry that everyone whose life has been touched by Parkinson's had to endure his stupidity. I am sorry, Jenn and Liz, that something that affects you and your family so profoundly can be belittled by anyone. And that people are ignorant enought to go along with it.
Limbaugh has not even ignorance as an excuse. He is an irresponsible man who makes money and gets fame and power from fanning the ignorance and hatred in this country. And he does that deliberately. It's appalling.
What has been a silver lining in all this has been hearing all the outraged responses to Limbaugh -- and I think many people are now becoming educated about Parkinson's because so many people have reacted in anger to his attack of Michael J. Fox.
I am the same age as Michael J. Fox and always thought he was immensely talented. I read his autobiography when it came out and have followed the way he has handled Parkinson's with such amazing dignity. My father had a close friend with Parkinson's -- and it was difficult to watch, and so very hard on his wife and kids.
Thhis is a long way of saying thanks for writing this post. The more people who speak up about this, the better.
There are some things, some topics, that you simply do not touch. For me, whatever Mr. Limbaugh said, he touched one of those. Badness.
First of all, I want to echo what Katy said.
I would also like to believe the backlash, as jo(e) pointed out, will help to enlighten and educate people about Parkinson's.
I'm sorry, Sweetie. It was an incredibly stupid and malicious display.
*hugs*
Post a Comment
<< Home