Thursday, January 19, 2006

NEXT!

Okay, any help in translating all these things into stuff I've got?

I'm thinking of including my work with the bank, running workshops for various stuff, volunteer councellor with Health Unit, interaction with students/faculty/etc with grad presidency...

I'm unsure what Marketing means and if I've done that. I probably have.

Any brainstorming or phrases or words of wisdom - welcome.

Job:
Co-operative Education Coordinator

DO:
Help co-op students with employment
Job development
Marketing to private, public, and non-profit sector employers
Recruitment of students
Coordinating and monitoring of job placement process
Employment skills guidance
Employment workshops
Promotional actvities

Skills to have:
Program co-ordination
Marketing and client-serving skills
Self-starter
Organize
Work Independently
Computer business applications
External funding opportunities


In the words of Dori from Saving Private Nemo (or whatever)
*Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming*

6 Comments:

Blogger Dogeared said...

You say yourself, you've run workshops, so that ticks that box.

Self starter, organise, work independently?

One word sweets- THESIS. Show them how you planned your time and your research/study. You set goals of X words edited each day, mini goals (find and replace, check references). You estimated time, and budgeted.

Did you apply for funding for your thesis? That'd count too.

Employment skills guidance? You've been working for how long now? You know the skills needed for work, and what students will need. You've been applying forjobs, so can guide them- you've not been in a career job for 10 years and so are out of touch with modern recruitment. Who better to advise and guide students into employment, than you?

You've got a lot going for you, and you've done a lot- spin it and make it work for you.

12:43 p.m.  
Blogger Annika said...

Marketing is like advertising. I'd be less vague but I am hungry.

3:38 p.m.  
Blogger allison said...

Sounds like the marketing part is simply convincing businesses that your students are going to be an essential part of your business. Any experience you have with writing, design and persuading would be applicable. Also, highlight the presentation skills you used in your thesis defense and you should be golden!

I always found that when applying for positions that required sales or marketing skills that it was a good strategy to emphasize your ability to open doors and then to tailor your product to what the customer wants. I think this would work well for co-op placements.

Good luck!

5:47 p.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Ohhhh see! I *have* done marketing!

Thanks everyone - this is really helping me and promping positive feelings in me!

And anyone else - I'm all ears.

7:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Program co-ordination (workshops, grad president)
Marketing and client-serving skills (grad president, volunteer councellor, bank, workshops)
Self-starter (thesis, grad president)
Organize (thesis, grad president, workshops)
Work Independently (thesis, grad president)
Computer business applications (bank, thesis, workshops?)
External funding opportunities (thesis)

I'd emphasize those things, PLUS the parts of the job you've actually done before in your cover letter. Then be sure to use those words (or similar) in describing your jobs in your CV/resume. You sound perfectly qualified to me.

5:08 a.m.  
Blogger Jay said...

Well, your head's in the right place. Don't you just love making lists of all your best qualities?

9:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home