Thursday, December 01, 2005

I'm feeling better...

.. but now Jim has left so I'm sad. Stupid emotions. *kicks toe in dirt*

But on the upside, I am feeling a bit better health wise and hope to fully recover this weekend.


In other news, I've managed to continue to apply for jobs. It has kinda gotten me down of late as I'm not getting any of these jobs yet, but I'm just going to focus on keeping my eyes open and continuing to learn as much as I can at this job so I have all those skills they talk about in these fancier jobs.

Part of this will be really understanding what I want to do. Or what direction I want to go. At our committee meeting today we were talking about our Vision with respect to our department and the university. I think that is something I want to get for myself. And part of this might be to have a better understanding of the limitations of working in academia without a PhD. I'm just not sure that I'll ever be able to reach the levels I want at the Uni without that check-mark. And I don't know that I want to get it. So that might mean I want to move out of academia and into a field that will not look down on me just because I only have my Masters. And right now I think that is a little fucked up (sorry mom).

I don't want to be somewhere where I feel lowly because I only have my MA. I would like that to be something that people look at and think "whoo, good for her. We like smart chicks with drive. She is a smart chick with drive and imagination and amazing people skills. Let's hire her and give her challenges and allowe her to move in rewarding directions."

So far the things about my job(s) that I've enjoyed is teaching, helping people (advising/talking/supporting/counselling), event planning, organizing, and putting together information (research, writing, thinking).

I think I just need to figure out what that is going to mean and how to keep moving in those directions.

With that said, I just applied at the Uni Library which doesn't tie into anything other than it is full time and unionized with benefits. Plus, I do good books.

xoxo
jenn

10 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

one thing to think about (and i'm totally repeating myself because i just put this in an email) is whether or not to take a technical course or two. there's nothing more fierce (thanks tyra) than a woman who is able to get a masters and took a practical-type course at one of the local colleges. very very handy i find.

i agree btw that you should not ever have to feel bad for only havng your masters *gasp*. you're too smart to get stuck in some bullshit game like that. go out and have fun and do things that make you happy.

1:28 p.m.  
Blogger Julia said...

not that you have to take a technical course, i just think it would be helpful for the counselling type courses. volunteering is also really good for getting back into work you've done before, or work you'd like to do again.

anyway, i sound too bossy right now.

1:32 p.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Hee, I just replied to you in an email - but I'll say something similar here too. Leone and I were just talking on the way home about me wanting to do *something* else to push me further in one direction. My first two thoughts - teaching or counselling. Both are areas I like, and I want to keep working in this capacity - but I want the added official training so I can get into the more specific career paths.

So yeah!

xoxo
thanks sweetie!

My word verification is like a kool new spelling of my name: zjunjfeer

1:32 p.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

oh, you did your second reply while I was typing mine. You don't sound bossy. You sound helpful. And I really value having people like you for when I want some help clarifying.

So there.

1:33 p.m.  
Blogger Julia said...

awwwww....

so um, can i call that you're christmas present?

1:41 p.m.  
Blogger Melly said...

Can you make a list of all the qualities you want in a job like I do for men? Make deal breakers, things you could compromise on . . . maybe do some free writing (or whatever they call that when you put pen to paper and just don't stop)? Would that help clarify?

6:21 p.m.  
Blogger Melly said...

PS Um like men you may have to try out a few jobs before finding one that works. Sorry to go back to the dating thing, it's the only thing I'm doing that is in any way similar.

6:21 p.m.  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

No advice here, except to close your eyes and think of all the things you like doing that you don't get paid for and see if you can get paid for doing one of them...ummmmm...the things you like doing that don't include sex.

8:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a position in a university's Centre for Leadership and Learning might be the thing. Also, there are consulting firms that do all kinds of workshops that companies pay huge money for. Things like "The inclusive workplace" "Dealing with difficult people" "Effective Team Building" etc.

6:04 a.m.  
Anonymous Humphrey said...

Quite useful material, thanks so much for the post.
online games to go | download racing games | download best games for pc | action games | free online games

11:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home