Thursday, November 17, 2005

Reality TV Makes Me Feel Better About Myself

I mean, really... I am SO well balanced, able to deal with conflict, kind to my friends, and able to communicate with my family.

Nanny 911. Hey everyone here's the deal: set boundaries, be firm and kind, let your kids know you love them, and seven year olds should no longer sleep with their parents.

Let alone this one woman who climbed into the top bunk with her one boy. Hooboy, I feel horrible for the husbands in these cases. And the parents who let their kids spit on them, hit them, pull their hair, etc..

I know I'll have challenges with my own kids. No need to point that out. But time and time again, people need to call in "nannies" to talk about setting boundaries and having reasonable expectations of their kids. Nannies have to tell them to present consistant demands, a united front, and to address problem behaviour at the very time of it. One woman was like "hey, what house doesn't have 3 and 5yr old kids who slap their parents, tell them to f-off, and spit at each other?"

I figure it is a bit like Clean Sweep, too. Sometimes I watch and think - oh, I have a few items I keep but don't display nicely. And that is okay. We all aren't perfect and we all have problem areas (which is normal). It is when you have to call someone in to find your bed/desk/living room that you have to deal with public viewership of your dirty laundry.

So to speak.

:)

xoxo
jenn

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wee! I have time to stalk you. As a leetle break. I deserve it!

I couldn't agree more about those shows. I LOVE watching Clean Sweep and thinking "Tsk, tsk, what do they need all that junk for?" The Nanny 911 shows are a bit more disturbing, because I can't be quite so holier-than-thou. What if that happens to me? What if I'd be a horrible mother and raise monsters? I finish watching Nanny 911 convinced I should never procreate.

Schadenfreude. Love it.

8:03 a.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

I have to pretty much stay away from the Nanny shows. Seeing kids behave like that and knowing there's thousands of them like that scare me to death. I prefer ignorant bliss.

11:14 a.m.  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

You know I love me some Clean Sweep!

12:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK - I think I get your point. We should get a Nanny so our kids won't spit on us. Check!

Jim

4:14 p.m.  
Blogger allison said...

As you know, I adore Clean Sweep! But some of the people these other shows find really disturb me. Recently, I accidentally saw Wife Swap. One of the wives was this spoiled brat who made her husband (the one holding down a job and paying the bills) do all the housework and bring her breakfast in bed. Once he got a taste of a real partner, he got a clue. All I could think as I watched the end was "I give this marriage 6 months."

It made me sad to see how fucked up people make their lives.

That said, I never miss a single episode of Survivor.

5:14 p.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

and TBL makes me happy I don't actually know Matt or ever have to deal with him on a one to one basis. Cause I may have to spit at him or something.

wv: rocyb

4:58 p.m.  
Blogger Meghan said...

Heh... Supernanny (that was the name of the show with Jo, right?) always cracked me!

Though, if I watched one of those shows in my current state... I might wind up jumping off a very tall building.

2:59 p.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

Heh, your subject line was also the topic of my first ever blog entry.

I saw a few episodes of Brat Camp, and it made me so sad to realise how deeply screwed up were these kids, and no matter how much progress they made at the camp, they were probably just going back to the same toxic family situation.

1:53 p.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

That was supposed to be a link, but I think I got carried away with the italics. Here.

1:57 p.m.  
Blogger Amethyst Anne said...

The Nanny shows scare the bejesus out of me- how do kids and parents get like that??? Well then some of the shows like "What not to wear" also scare me..Nothing like watching a bunch of people who are badly dressed with bad kids and bad marriages to make you feel better..:)

10:44 a.m.  
Blogger grad student hack said...

As an ex-preschool teaching assistant (what a job title, eh?!) and an ex(disgruntled) Nanny, I like to watch Nanny for the feeling of vindication, along with the feeling of superiority that I get.

All those parents who would bring their kids in (usually hollering, holding on to their little siblings hair, and threatening to amp up the tantrum) and then expect us to magically make the bad behaviour stop immediately *somehow*. As if the bad behaviour had just magically started out of nowhere. They'd actually act shocked (as they ran for the classroom door) that their little angels were being so naughty. But hell, let someone else clean up the mess cuz it's not their fault. Right? *blink*

We actually usually managed to get the kids calm, playing and learning nicely, respecting others, taking turns, using their words instead of their fists (or feet, or teeth), asking instead of demanding, etc... during class time (the teachers were kickass great educators, so that helped). The transformation in the child the minute the parent walked through the door was always immediate. From happy and pleasant to tantrum brat in 3 seconds. And the parents would be *shocked, just schocked!*

Makes me want to time travel back with a Naughty Chair and a British accent.

*Um, hi. I thought I'd start commenting on your blog by writing a dissertation on preschool teaching.

11:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home