Sunday, December 11, 2005

Getting back into The Groove.

I've been sick for the past two weeks and it kicked my exercising totally off track. *doh* So yesterday I got back to the gym and I'm very glad. I have two 1 week passes for a women's gym here in town (to test them out). There are some things I really like about the gym - but just not their bottom line... money money money.

Now I know this is important to all gyms. But this one it seems more obvious. They are one of the only places in town that still does the 2year contract. Since some new gyms have finally opened up here they've had to alter that somewhat and give an option for month by month. But they charge more for that "option" so that puts them at a higher monthly rate than the Y. So the Y makes more sense monthly price-wise... but they just aren't as nice. And they get busier and don't have as much equipment and sometimes you have to wait to get the machine you want and I'm not good at that.

It is all I can do to get to the gym in the first place.. let alone then having to wait around and maybe not get the workout I want. But the Y is closer and I might be more likely to do an early morning workout there than the women's gym. Also, the Y doesn't have a sign-up fee. I'm completely opposed to sign-up fees. They are straight out cash-grabs. Of course, that cash grab at the women's gym is probably why they have all those treadmills....

The next consideration is yoga. The Y does something where each season (three per year) you get a Core programme as part of your membership. These are programmes you would usually have to pay extra for - yoga, pilates, dance, etc...

Their yoga is very cool and taught by one of my favorite teachers in town. It is for eight weeks of each 16, once per week. For the other two months of each season, there is the option to enroll in the yoga and pay the $30. Their thing is to offer you one per season and give you the chance to add something extra to your experience. Neat to think of doing the pilates or something else one time.

The women's gym has yoga as just part of their offerings. They offer three classes per week and I know the one woman who teaches there - she's okay. But hey, three per week - all year long, no extra charge (well, unless we factor in how much more they charge per month... which is what I'll end up figuring out at one point).

Oh the decisions. But for right now I have two 1 week passes for the women's gym. So that is cool.

Right - my point. I went yesterday for 1hr 20 and then today I did pilates and weights at home. I also bought a new balance ball to replace the one Chuck the Cat killed dead.

So go team exercise.

xoxo
jenn

6 Comments:

Blogger The Bears said...

And don't forget to find out which gym is more Bear-friendly for when we come do Bum Yoga with you.

Good job on the workoos!

OK Bye
Stompy

2:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a workout tonight too! I meant to do the half hour basic Tae Bo, but left it too late to start and shower before 10pm (when Mum goes to bed- the shower is noisy).

So I did the "8 minute workout" but that doesn't include warm up or cool down, so it's more like 15 minutes. I think it might be slightly more intensive. If I remember to look up multimap tonight, I might look at the roads in the industrial estate where I work and see if I can figure a good running route- I have my
running clothes at work.

Callie

3:08 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

I'm thinking about a treadmill. I like the running, but not the concrete, and I like the idea of being able to watch television at the same time and then shower in my own shower. There's a used excercise equipment store in town, I've been planning to stop and look around for a while now.

6:43 a.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Yeah, I'm totally wanting a Treadmill - not to mention my friend just got one and I was thinking of stealing it until I found out how heavy it was. I would need her and her hubbies help to steal it. Not so likely.

11:40 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, a home treadmill would be great for the cold weather! I kinda like the woods in the summer, but I an't run in the dark right now, so my third run of the week is gonna have to be in a lunch hour, and as I found out today- not so easy or enjoyable.

Callie

2:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Eugene said...

Goodness, there's so much effective information here!
Mission apartments

7:34 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home