What they do and who they are...
So, I don't think I'll be reading any Orson Scott Card anymore. I was just reading Peter David's blog about Card's comments on Star Trek. Now, I wasn't too pleased with Card right then and there. And I really couldn't care less about ST, but I'm not a fan of being a poo-head to people who really enjoy a particular aspect of a genre. Especially in how the message was delivered. I mean, an sci-fi person certainly can have an opinion about ST and all, but it is the whole being a pissy-wank about it that bugs me. You know people, there are nicer ways to say things and, in the end, what's it to ya eh?
So then as I'm reading the comments on David's blog entry I find out that Card is a wank in so many ways. He is totally homophobic.
*sigh*
This is one of the few things that will push me over the deep end. Sorry. No more of Card's books for me. I went on a little search to see what he wrote for myself, and I was not impressed. He is one of them. You know what I mean. And I could never support someone like that again with my money. And quite frankly, I've got so many books to read and so many authors I love that I won't miss him.
And I realise I'm not good with finding out things about the "real" people behind entertainment. The woman who plays the wife on Everybody Loves Raymond - yeah I heard her on Entertainment tonight or some such show. She was going off on a pro-life/ Teri Shivo rant. I haven't watched the show since. I tried and thought I could separate it out - but I can't. I saw her on screen and just kept thinking "ewww, I don't like you." And it works both ways, I kinda like the Dixie Chicks more now. I dunno, I find them all gutsy and brass. And 'hell yeah!" And I don't think I'd like them if I didn't already like their music... so an opinion won't make me like something that doesn't already turn my crank. But boy it can sure risk making me dislike everything they do. And it is so much in the delivery. I've watched shows with a bit of a religious undertone, but done in a rather open accepting way and they've not bothered me. But the minute I start getting preached to, or it is being done in some pissy way, or someone is being a dick towards different opinions, yeah I'm not good with that.
I guess for the most part I don't want to 'know' my entertainers. There is just too much risk that it will ruin my suspended disbelief necessary to be entertained sometimes. The most difficult to overcome was my beloved Angel. Oh how I love Angel. I'm a Buffy/Angel shipper from the get go. But David Boreanaz is such a turd. He is a goof. I remember the first time I saw him on a talk show and my eyes were wide as I shook my head going 'oh nononononono!!' Rewind! Erase! Started avoiding seeing him from then on. Saw him a few other times and confirmed that I had to keep that guy separate from ANGEL. Managed to do okay with that - but being a turd isn't one of my total write-off ones.
And as for Orson Scott Card - being a nasty homophobe who WRITES ABOUT IT online and spouts off... yeah, that's it for me buddy.
So hmmm, do you all find this? Do you hear something from an entertainer and find it breaks the illusion of their writing/singins/acting?
So then as I'm reading the comments on David's blog entry I find out that Card is a wank in so many ways. He is totally homophobic.
*sigh*
This is one of the few things that will push me over the deep end. Sorry. No more of Card's books for me. I went on a little search to see what he wrote for myself, and I was not impressed. He is one of them. You know what I mean. And I could never support someone like that again with my money. And quite frankly, I've got so many books to read and so many authors I love that I won't miss him.
And I realise I'm not good with finding out things about the "real" people behind entertainment. The woman who plays the wife on Everybody Loves Raymond - yeah I heard her on Entertainment tonight or some such show. She was going off on a pro-life/ Teri Shivo rant. I haven't watched the show since. I tried and thought I could separate it out - but I can't. I saw her on screen and just kept thinking "ewww, I don't like you." And it works both ways, I kinda like the Dixie Chicks more now. I dunno, I find them all gutsy and brass. And 'hell yeah!" And I don't think I'd like them if I didn't already like their music... so an opinion won't make me like something that doesn't already turn my crank. But boy it can sure risk making me dislike everything they do. And it is so much in the delivery. I've watched shows with a bit of a religious undertone, but done in a rather open accepting way and they've not bothered me. But the minute I start getting preached to, or it is being done in some pissy way, or someone is being a dick towards different opinions, yeah I'm not good with that.
I guess for the most part I don't want to 'know' my entertainers. There is just too much risk that it will ruin my suspended disbelief necessary to be entertained sometimes. The most difficult to overcome was my beloved Angel. Oh how I love Angel. I'm a Buffy/Angel shipper from the get go. But David Boreanaz is such a turd. He is a goof. I remember the first time I saw him on a talk show and my eyes were wide as I shook my head going 'oh nononononono!!' Rewind! Erase! Started avoiding seeing him from then on. Saw him a few other times and confirmed that I had to keep that guy separate from ANGEL. Managed to do okay with that - but being a turd isn't one of my total write-off ones.
And as for Orson Scott Card - being a nasty homophobe who WRITES ABOUT IT online and spouts off... yeah, that's it for me buddy.
So hmmm, do you all find this? Do you hear something from an entertainer and find it breaks the illusion of their writing/singins/acting?


13 Comments:
He is clearly an arsepickle.
I forgot what else I wanted to say. My internet is being slower than dial up, so I'm now in the habit of asking things to load, and then going back to things. Hence me forgetting.
Oh- as regards being force fed religion/etc on TV- yes. Bugs me. Equally with being hit over the head with messages/morals etc. the one show which is an exception is "Scrubs" for me. It does sometimes lay the message of the day pretty heavily, but it's charming and funny and I feel for the characters, so I don't mind.
Oh and the humour is second to none for me. Earlier this evening I was thinking of the scene where Kelso and Cox face off, and JD imagines them as Obi Wan and Darth Vader, and JD and Turk are Han, Elliot and Carla are Princess Leia, and the Janitor (in a stroke of genius) is Chewbacca. It got me laughing, and I was only remembering the scene!
Callie
Well, clearly I don't like Card anymore. I'd long since heard about his homophobic rants, and was happy I never got into his books. But I hate it when people get holier than thou. Dude, you write SCI FI. No one and nothing is going to change that, not even ragging on other people who you think are geeks.
Mel Gibson is the big one though. For me, I can't even see his face without being filled with intense loathing. He ruined Chicken Run for me. CHICKEN-fucking-RUN! He was a voice, and still all I could thing of was "rightwing fruitcake who thinks his wife is going to hell and gets off on sado-masochistic displays." And that's a lot to think about when you're looking at a talking chicken.
I'm glad I hate Everybody Loves Raymond. One less thing to have ruined for me. Lady, you're a two-bit actress in a sitcom. You don't know shit about Terri Shiavo so STFU.
PANTPANTPANTRAR!
^^
I know for a fact this has happened to me, but I'm struggling to actually remember the specifics. I think it was a band that did it with me. But I completely relate to what you've said here.
I used to LOOOVE Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford & Woody Allen and now I can't stand to watch them in anything they've done since I found out what complete & utter shits they are.
Everything from before then is still okay. They weren't shits then.
So now, I can read and enjoy the OSC books I already own and not read anything new by him. Which is fine, 'cause artistically (sp?) he was starting to lose his fire.
Oh yes, Mel Gibson is something it's happened with too.
I still seem to be in the dark about Harrison Ford though. And I'd like to keep it that way. Me and Harrison, in my little fantasy world! ;)
Okay, Eileen. I won't tell. But there is a hint on my blog (www.mysterymommy.blogspot.com).
Yes! I used to think Owen Wilson was a pretty cool guy until I saw him on a talkshow. He's such a stoner it's not true.
I see your "*sigh*" and raise you a "D'oh!".
I hear y'all are actually in NYC now. If you bump into my parents (they're right around the corner from you), give them a hug for me.
ew ew ew ew ew! Mel Gibson is the PERFECT example. That guy makes me want to either barf or get a flame thrower...
And yes I shall watch out for your parents, Liz! Although, really, I never look at people to recognize them in these parts. Would kinda make my brain explode.
I hear ya. There's a cool passage in a Margaret Maron book, tho. All about how out-of-towners visiting the natives are always surprised how small-towny NYC can be. Next time I see you I'll lend you the book.
What is funny is every time I have been in NYC, I have run into someone I know from elsewhere. Boggles the mind, it does.
Okay, now let me comment on the actual post instead of the comments.
I am taking a course in librarianship. In one of my work modules, I am asked to recommend a book for a 15 year old boy who is just discovering science fiction. The first title I think of is Ender's Game. Recommending this book will help introduce him to some solid sci-fi at an interest and reading level that will really engage him. And it is science fiction that reaches a younger reader, but in a more mature style. It may lead to him discovering Heinlein and Asimov and Clarke and other classic writers.
So, do I not recommend this book I am sure he will love because I don't like the writer's politics? If there is no homophobia in the story (there might be, but it wasn't overt enough to catch my attention), should I reject it?
I don't know. *sigh*
Recommend it. It is a good intro to sf for a young adult and it is only as older adults that I think not liking someone's work because of who they are kicks in.
Post a Comment
<< Home