Jetplane Part Two
Oh yeah, and airlines are fuckers (sorry for the language mom). I just called America West to see if I did - for sure - clear customs in vancouver and she was all "you always clear customs at your first arrival in a new country." Please note, she had to go "check on this" with someone else. I dunno, maybe she is new. But regardless, this is not always the case. Now maybe what she meant was that American West has this policy, but my experience with a number of different airlines has proven this is different. Cathay Pacific clears customs "on the other side" - when you arrive in a country. Makes sense as they have multiple countries on their route (the flight I take is Hong Kong to Vancouver to NYC).
But Air Canada has you clear customs before you enter the country. When I fly through Toronto I have to clear them there before heading into the us. When I flew with Alaska/Continental (some combo deal they had worked out) I cleared in Vancouver before heading to Seattle and then nyc.
So I say to the woman, "oh, so I'll clear in Phoenix - I guess you all allow enough time for this with the connecting flight to nyc." She's like "umm, I'll look. Yeah, I guess so. There is an hour. Well, almost an hour. That should be fine."
Err, should? Really? Because if the flight is late at all or customs decides to be a pain, this is not enough time!" Fucking Air Canada does this too and I am sick of it. So then she says there is a later flight they'd put me on that flies back to Vegas and then to nyc. WTF??? Or then she says "or we'll find a flight with another carrier." Um, will you? Really? I'm not holding my breath.
Okay, I'll just bring a good book and lots of water.
Bastards.
And I'm still not certain that I won't just clear customs in Vancouver.
But Air Canada has you clear customs before you enter the country. When I fly through Toronto I have to clear them there before heading into the us. When I flew with Alaska/Continental (some combo deal they had worked out) I cleared in Vancouver before heading to Seattle and then nyc.
So I say to the woman, "oh, so I'll clear in Phoenix - I guess you all allow enough time for this with the connecting flight to nyc." She's like "umm, I'll look. Yeah, I guess so. There is an hour. Well, almost an hour. That should be fine."
Err, should? Really? Because if the flight is late at all or customs decides to be a pain, this is not enough time!" Fucking Air Canada does this too and I am sick of it. So then she says there is a later flight they'd put me on that flies back to Vegas and then to nyc. WTF??? Or then she says "or we'll find a flight with another carrier." Um, will you? Really? I'm not holding my breath.
Okay, I'll just bring a good book and lots of water.
Bastards.
And I'm still not certain that I won't just clear customs in Vancouver.


4 Comments:
Look at the bright side, with a longer layover in the Van airport b4 coming home, you might be able to take in some Sushi and trashy mags...or have some people come to see you at the airport, like a mini visit.
*hug*
C
It look's like you will go through customs in Phoenix. American West flies into terminal 4 which is the international terminal. Here is some information that may make you feel a bit better.
http://phoenix.gov/AVIATION/int_travel/customs_immigration.html#TopOfPage
Ohmygod, You are amazing! You gave me info the INFO line couldn't give me!
And hey, I'm all for just chillin out and taking what comes, but I hate feeling like I maybe should take action on this side of things. I mean, once I'm going I'm going - ya know.... but I just wasn't sure about customs and vancouver. With that said, the 10:30 flight is more than ample to get from one end of van airport to the other. It is so different when you know the airport so well. I even know what starbucks kiosk I'll go to after clearing security!
xoxo to allison!
For my part one and all must browse on this.
BEEF AND TOFU
Post a Comment
<< Home