Tuesday, May 24, 2005

My Birthday Dinner

I like sharing these menus, and this one actually gave us a little menu on a card when we chose our dinner. So you are getting more detail then we'd be able to remember. I think you'll be able to tell when it is me talking. So this is from TABLA (Indian inspired fine dining).


Chef's Market Tasting Menu

Drinks: Tablatini (me), Pomigrantine Gimlet (jim)

Hudson Valley Fois Gras Torchon. With Spiced Rambutan and on a Ginger cookie. So really, fois gras on a ginger snap. Super yummy!

Fluke tartare and California Osetra Caviar.
With green mango, local apples, and coriander seed. Mmm, the fruit made this very nifty and added crunch.

Rice Flaked Black Sea Bass.
Wild mushrooms, roasted four chillie broth. My comment was that it had been coated in riced crispies.

Rawa Crisped Soft Shell Crab.
Daikon, spring onions, ramps, toasted spice curry. I've not had soft shelled crab before. You eat the whole thing. It is super cool.

Stone Church Farms Dulcair Ducks.
With Morels, peas shoots and pickeled lotus root. Mmmm, this was four thin slices of duck that was soft and tender.

Seared Wagyu Beef and Braised Brisket.
With ramps, spinach and baby taro. Ramps are like leek/potato. Again, very very yummy.

Moscato Cranberry Granite
with blood oranges. Alcohol slushy with fruit.

Choclate-Hazelnut Souffle
with gianduja* iced cream and hazelnut brittle. Ummm, yeah - could I please have five more? My comment to Jim was that the souffle with the iced cream (I mixed them a bit on my plate) was like those microwave cake n'pudding things I used to make as a teen. He laughed and didn't say outloud that we apparently could have just nuked some birthday dinner for me.

Happy birthday lemon tart
with candle. Yay! No singning! Just a lovely tart with writing in chocolate along the rim of the plate that wished me happy birthday.

Chai Tea with Steamed milk
and those little mini cookies/desserts. This was when the food started to hurt me. Yeah, we walked home.

*dictionary dot com: a finely ground smooth mixture of chocolate and nut butter, such as hazelnut, almond, or pistachio; also called nutella. (okay, now I know why it was so good!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Amethyst Anne said...

I feel like I have gained 5 pounds just from reading this....yummy

4:38 p.m.  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I ditto Cali and also ask:

You've NEVER eaten soft-shell crab before? How did I let this lapse occur? Geez Louise, it's my favorite food of all time.

6:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A vegetarian's dream dinner, Jenn. But geez, fine dining if I've ever seen it (and I haven't). Jim's awesome.

7:57 p.m.  
Blogger Mindi Scott said...

Oh. My. God. I want that chocolate-hazelnut souffle! I've never had souffle, but I want it anyway.

10:34 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

Wow. I had hot dogs for my birthday.

I find the contrast amusing.

7:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey, that sounds very very fancy!

But it sounds liek you enjoyed it a lot, so woohoo!

Callie

9:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Randell said...

Gosh, there is a great deal of useful information above!
apartments rent | Thanksgiving dinner ideas | coupon template

1:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home