Working... for money...
This seems to happen every couple of months. A friend just contacted me and asked if I wanted my name put forward for a contract. It would run until about mid April, take a fair bit of time, and need a report to finish it off. There would be a bit of travel (but not much.. but in possibly bad weather and longish distances), and I'd need to get my ass in gear ASAP to be considered.
It is so wonderful that my friend is looking out for me. I really mean that. She thinks of me and knows I've worked in these areas before so I tend to keep my eyes open for contracts (also sometimes called consultant work according to Jim). But I made a choice after coming back to school after surgery. I said I wouldn't work again until my thesis is finished. I"m very close. I would hope that by the middle of April I'd be getting ready for my defense. I'm going to have my rough draft done soon so I think I"m considering this contract because I'm itching for a job and money (that doesn't come from Student Loans with my signature in blood and them circling my house howling at night).
But I really don't think this is the time for me to take a contract. I think I should just cut this short right here and now despite my desire to go further and find out more. As Jim said, what is it that would make this worth my while - and is that a real possibility. (ie: they pay me $150 an hour and say this will only take me three hours a week on the weekends and I can not finish if big thesis stuff suddenly comes up that needs my attention... and while we're at it: a new car.)
Yeah.
So I guess I"ve decided and I need to remember that jobs and contracts come across my path every few months - and will be even more when I put the word out that I've finished my Masters and I'm looking to work my ass off.... I just wish I didn't go through this emotional rollercoaster each time I stumble across one.
Big *sigh*
It is so wonderful that my friend is looking out for me. I really mean that. She thinks of me and knows I've worked in these areas before so I tend to keep my eyes open for contracts (also sometimes called consultant work according to Jim). But I made a choice after coming back to school after surgery. I said I wouldn't work again until my thesis is finished. I"m very close. I would hope that by the middle of April I'd be getting ready for my defense. I'm going to have my rough draft done soon so I think I"m considering this contract because I'm itching for a job and money (that doesn't come from Student Loans with my signature in blood and them circling my house howling at night).
But I really don't think this is the time for me to take a contract. I think I should just cut this short right here and now despite my desire to go further and find out more. As Jim said, what is it that would make this worth my while - and is that a real possibility. (ie: they pay me $150 an hour and say this will only take me three hours a week on the weekends and I can not finish if big thesis stuff suddenly comes up that needs my attention... and while we're at it: a new car.)
Yeah.
So I guess I"ve decided and I need to remember that jobs and contracts come across my path every few months - and will be even more when I put the word out that I've finished my Masters and I'm looking to work my ass off.... I just wish I didn't go through this emotional rollercoaster each time I stumble across one.
Big *sigh*


5 Comments:
Sounds like a good call. You need to focus on the thesis thing right now. Paid work comes later. It's nice to know it's out there, though.
Dani here.
You really are lucky to have those sorts of things come along.
>_< Feeling lost right now. Need job soon.
Never mind - I'm with you that you should now concentrate on your main goal.
Go Jenn! Yeah!
It's frustrating, I'm sure. Just focus on this- if jobs come along when you're doing your Masters, better ones might be round the corner once you've DONE your Masters [up]
Hugs
Callie
Quite worthwhile information, lots of thanks for your post.
afforable vacation packages | international postage | personal injury attorneys
Post a Comment
<< Home