Tuesday, December 07, 2004

And Gosh Darn It, People Like Me.

Well I've made a decision to nix the January 4th "Rough Draft to Committee" deadline. I've got just over a week until I leave for home and I have some big pieces still to finish. As my supervisor has stressed, though, I've sure done a heck of a lot these past 8 months and as many wise friends have pointed out, it is important to keep as close track on what I've accomplished as that which I still have to do.

But why is that so hard? Why is it so much more natural to just keep listing off all that I have left to do and not give myself any credit for all I've done these past 8 months?

I want to keep telling people I'm almost done because I want them to know how hard I'm working. But I also am very aware of my fear around being 'dishonest' to friends, family, and myself. I keep stressing how much there still is to do because I don't want people to think I'm being lazy or taking a stupid amount of time or something weird like that.

And I totally recognize this can be linked to those two years of "working" in an ineffective relationship with my past supervisor. Where for two years I kept saying I was working on my thesis because I didn't know what else to call it. And then to feel like I had been misleading people. And you know what? Nobody really keeps track in the same way I do - I'm actually the only one really 'worried' about all this stuff in a negative manner.

So with that all said, what have I accomplished in the past eight months:
  • Outline and one page summary of entire thesis
  • Outlines of each chapter
  • Chapter Two - 30 pgs written and one round of revisions finished
  • Chapter Three - 20 pgs written and one round of revisions
  • Chapter Four - 25 pgs written and one round of revisions
  • Chapter Five - almost complete with 20 pgs written
  • Conclusion - sketched 5pgs
  • Introduction - sketched 8 pgs
  • Chapter One - sketched 15 pages
  • Works Cited - almost complete

So I'm taking a break to enjoy Christmas and my family and have a visit with Jim. I don't want to spend the Christmas holiday feeling guilty for every minute I spend doing something other than my thesis. I want to have the space to finish my Christmas shopping, visit with some friends before I leave, and not feel like a stress basket.

I will continue working on those last pieces and have them done before returning from NYC at the end of February. I had really wanted to wait to take a break after the entire rough draft was done and handed it, but I need to acknowledge that my brain and my gut and my body needs that break right now. I've pretty much worked right through from September with the hopes of defending by April 1. But I am not going to 'finish' next term. And ooh, look - they sky is not falling in on me *wink*. I will keep working and I will have my thesis written and revised by the end of term. I will only need to use the spring/summer semester to wait on the Graduate Office paperwork and then my defense.

Boy motivation is a tough balance. I want to keep the pressure on and sometimes cannot understand people talking about how hard I am on myself. How I work too hard. How I need to cut myself some slack. Deep down inside I feel like there are two years where I kept cutting myself some slack and that meant I never actually got a single chapter written. I don't know how to separate that out from my own 'work ethic' or some silly term like that. But as Jim and others keep pointing out - I've written and I've progressed like I never had before. I will finish. And, again, nobody is judging me as harshly as I am. So yeah, I'm cutting myself some slack and taking Christmas off.

Please all reassure me about this decision, as I feed off positive external praise *grin*

xoxo to all,

Jenn

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have been working like a woman possessed! Seriously, if I'd had half as much drive and study ethic as you, I'd have got a middle 2:1, not a low 2:1-and-panicked-through-my-exams-not-sure-if-I'd-get-a-2:2.... [wink]

You deserve a break, and then you will come back refreshed and revitalised. Yes it may be a little later than you planned, but plans are there to be revised according to the situations. Pushing yourself to get it done will only churn out crap/mediocrity. And then you'll STILL have to spend extra time fixing it. Only difference is you can spend the next few weeks relaxing/having a good time, or churning out mediocre stuff. Either way, you'll finish it later, and it will be GOOD.

So says me, so listen up girl [wink]

[girlkissers] for you rock.

Callie

11:40 a.m.  
Blogger allison said...

I used to put myself down all the time for being such a procrastinator. I always seemed to take forever to start on a project. I always thought about it...writing in my head, playing with ideas and organizing thoughts, but the actual sitting down and working on it part always seemed to wait until the last minute.

I always called that procrastination. And we all know that's bad, right? Then a very wise woman (my former therapist) suggested that I wasn't procrastinating at all: I was simply working in my head until I was ready to begin. She pointed out that I was usually successful with this system, albeit somewhat stressed and that maybe this was just how my mind worked.

To say this took a lot of pressure off is an understatement to say the least. I started looking at my "style" of work as exactly that: a style. Not a liability or something bad. Just how my mind worked.

So, embrace the work you have done. You have worked your ass off these last 8 months. The time before? Pondering time. Now, give yourself the breather you need for the final push. It will be wonderful, I know.

Especially if you let me read some of it first! :-)

3:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said: "Boy motivation is a tough balance."

I don't think boy motivation is difficult at all. You just have to send your boy fun toys for his birthday for the two of you to play with when you arrive, and he's very motivated.

:-)

Jim

5:19 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

You need that break. You deserve that break. You will take that break and come back with a fresh mind and a fresh perspective. Yes!

8:51 a.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of work accomplished. I think you have every right to look at that list and say, "yes, I deserve a mental break".

I know what it's like to be your own worst critic. Sometimes it's a relief to only live up to others' expectations rather than your own. I get great reveiws at work, but I feel like I could do so much better and that I'm not living up to my potential. But I also realize that I need to give my mind a break once in a while, or my quality of work suffers.

So let yourself enjoy your break, so you will be all the more clear-headed to finish.

8:58 a.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

Jim....
dude....
you know my mom reads this right?

2:06 p.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

Oh yeah, and Jen, wheeeeeeeeee with the motivation. You are an inspiration to undergrads such as I who need people like you in our lives in order to just get to the frickin' class in the first place. seriously, mucho bien motivator are you (that was my spanish Yoda) and you could write a book with all your motivational speeches you have given me and sell the rights to the chicken soup people or better yet, get it published on chicklit or something and (hey chicken soup... chicklit.... that's really quite funny) and then with all the royalities you make you can buy me shoes in NY. Or you can buy yourself shoes in NY. Whatever. Yes... so beginning of this tangent was Jen does a lot but not so much that you're one of those freaky people who don't sleep enough and are trying to please everyone so they get a twitch motivators, but you are a motivator that is healthy and gives others tool (like a paddle! [the kind you row with! goodness Jim!]) by just being an example. yeah. does this comment make any sense? I could have sworn english was my first language. eh.

2:12 p.m.  
Blogger The Bears said...

Leone,

Jenn sent me a wonderful train set for my birthday. I'm quite looking forward to her arriving so we can set it up.

Why would that bother you mother?

*flashes innocent eyes*

Jim

6:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Barry said...

I think everyone must read this.
Cheese-Spinich-Sausage Pie

6:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home