Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Getting On Track in NYC

I worked on the ol thesis yesterday. I've been in NYC for, what? about a week?

*thinks*

Yeah, I arrived here last wednesday (aka the longest day in the world as it blended with tuesday). Pretty much just slept on wednesday. Then went to friends' on friday for New Years and returned to the city on sat night. I've had a very very nice stay so far, and had already decided that tuesday would be my time to return to 'work.' I also got back into working out on Sunday and have put in three workouts so far. I'm not going to a gym here or anything as the prices are through tht roof! I've worked out a space for myself in the living room (I make Jim hide) and I just do about 25min of cardio aerobics-style, about 10-15 min of weights, some pilates, and some yoga. All in all, I get my heart-rate up and break a sweat, tone, and stretch. Seems to work out just fine.

The thesis is only re-opened so it seems very fresh and new. Lots of good ideas and I'm trying to focus on what I want to work on rather than making a long list of what all needs to be done. We'll see how that goes for a bit.

And with all that I kinda feel like I'm getting a bit of a schedule set up here. Working out 4-5 times a week, scheduling in thesis work, and then going for walks and wanders around the city with Jim in the afternoons. We've been having wonderful meals here and I've managed to twist his rubber arm into sushi dinners twice so far. I'm really trying to hold back and not ask if we could have sushi EVERY night.

*sigh* Oh sushi, how I love you.

But I also love Jim's cooking and he's made us amazing meals every other night. As he put it, we're eating like Vegans - with meat. *laugh* But it is just that we eat tonnes of fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes, low dairy, min fat or salt, no white sugar, fresh produce, no processed foods. You get the picture. It has been wonderful and I'm really enjoying having him cook for me.

The weather has been really quite mild and I'm glad I got that new bunny jacket on boxing day (not real bunny or anything). My PG parka would have been too much for right now, but I need more than my sweaters. Although it has been raining a bit for the past few days, and we've not gotten down to the river but hope to in the next little while.

All in all, the visit is lovely and I'm feeling rather positive about getting back to work and being here.

XoXo
jenn

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh. It all sounds wonderful! New York, boyfriend, working out, good food (cooked for you!), walks...

Lucky bitca [wink]

Enjoy it sweets [girlkissers]

Callie

12:46 p.m.  
Blogger allison said...

Vegan (with meat)!!

I love that and want to adopt it and raise it as my own. Glad to hear that you are happily adapting to life in the Big Apple. And just tell Jim that he needs to learn how to chop fish, mold rice and shout "Hai!" Then all your needs would be satisfied.

3:40 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

Ah, how lovely it all sounds...

I must try sushi at least once. And it's all your fault! Yes, it is.

6:40 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

*sigh*Sounds like a wonderful existence. I am experiencing feelings of jealousy.

I need to work on my eating habits. I was reading somewhere the other day that the newest generation is the first generation that has a lower life expectancy than the one before because of poorer diet and excercise habits. Scary thought, huh?

6:59 a.m.  
Blogger Annika said...

Oh, man. I miss New York.

9:08 a.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Yeah, NY is pretty cool. And we walked down to Staples today in the rain which was very enjoyable and refreshing.

As for food, last night Jim made a ground lamb with eggplant and tomato dish which was wonderful. Had it with greens in a bit of oil and balsamic and s&p. Little trick is to put that all in a closed container and shake it up for good coverage of the greens.

I'll see what Jim says about cheese in a can, Coral - but based on your last entry about the chicken fiasco, we might hold of on following your cooking suggestions eh?

And Allison - yes, the vegan with meat is rather catchy. Seems to caputre it quite well.

:)
jenn

3:09 p.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

Hmph. Yeah so Coral was perfectly lovely and got me groceries and has volunteered to drive me for more groceries, however in the mean time I have kinda exhausted the groceries she has gotten me and I killed one of my tomatoes (I blended it to make sauce and with my new blender, unscrewed the wrong part, the bottom of the glass part, not the seperate base part, so when I lifted the glass container all the tomatoes just went everywhere. That sucked and Spike had pink splotches on him). And then the other day I stopped in London drugs to get some few groceries and lightbulbs and notebooks, but I spent too long picking out my notebooks because by the time I went to get my lightbulbs I was way too hot because of my eighteen layers I wear in order to not instanteously freeze the moment I step outside and I was kinda getting dizzy and ikcy feeling so I just grabbed what I thought was mushroom soup and tuna to make a casserole dish and when I got home I realized I grabbed chicken noodle soup (eh, whatever) and tuna packed in oil and broth (ew, ew, ew) so yeah. Can you and Jim come stay with me for awhile? Seriously, I have got one damn comfy futon!* Okay, keep up the blogs! I miss you!
~Leone

*said futon may be also missing boards, uncomfortable, covered in cat hair, lumpy, too short for even short people like Jenn and Leone (but maybe just right for Ju), and is in risk of collapsing.

5:44 p.m.  
Blogger Julia said...

I AM NOT SHORTER THAN YOU TWO!

5:11 p.m.  
Blogger Julia said...

and yoners, really, when are you going to stop dying your cats. it's kinda getting epidemic.

5:12 p.m.  
Blogger Julia said...

yeah, like my life is totally like that...

except that it keeps snowing in vancouver (wha?)
my skin is so dry i'm breaking out in hives
my cat just sneezed on my clean laundry

and all i've eaten today is tortilla chips and refried beans out of the can.

5:13 p.m.  
Blogger Laura Barth said...

Sounds like a great time. I live the vegan with meat lifestyle myself (allergy induced) and it's not a bad one. It's amazing how much junk food can still be consumed, though. I must get back on track. I think I need some recipes. Maybe Jim could give me some tips.

9:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home