Thursday, January 27, 2005

Well that was... something

Gah, I took on two days of work. As it was only two days worth and the person really really needed my help. But long-distance work in different time zones while trying to accomodate somebody else's schedule is hard [/huge understatement]. And in true contract work fashion, you end up feeling like you worked twice as many hours as you actually logged. All those little things of waiting on a file or a call so you aren't working for an hour but you are waiting to work so you don't do anything else.. but don't feel you can really put down that time. Or at another time doing your own email and seeing one for work and going ahead and replying to that email all quick-like and then realising it took half an hour but you didn't really keep track... so you just shrug it off.

But no biggie. I helped out with something and made a bit of cash. But I really don't think I could do something like this again. It is too confusing and difficult to arrange EVERYTHING long-distance. Good thing for me to learn. Unless the work is extremely independent and I've had a chance to meet in person first, get the nitty-gritty down, and then head off to work on my own - this would not be something I want to do. I realised that last night at 12:30am when I finished off the file and sent it away.

Today Jim and I are going to wander downtown (I call everything outside downtown which is confusing as there really is a 'downtown' in nyc which is quite particular). So Jim and I are going to wander over to sixth or something and peer into some shops. Unless it stays as freaken cold as it is right now with the wind and the frozenness. Then we might just wander to the end of the block and buy some food from 'CornerMart' and call it an outing.

Yes, we have CornerMart, YuppieMart, and ChelseaMart. None of which are actually the real names of these places. Sometimes CornerMart is also called ScuzzyMart. We don't buy meat products there [ick]. YuppieMart is wonderful, but a bit pricey and VERY crowded. ChelseaMart is wonderful and amazing.. but a bit of a walk and they don't have the same selection so we end up having to get over to YuppieMart anyhoo to buy certain meat products and tofu and such.

We have a shopping system.

xoxo
jenn

5 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

I have no system but I want one now!

11:44 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have a system in Leeds- get everything at Morrisons. Anything I forgot, ran out of or needed urgently, I used the One Stop up the road- it was more expensive than Morrisons, but in a pinch...

Callie

2:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

psst... go to reticentnemesis.blogspot.com. you will find someone you know there. Really, I'm not just being creepy... but I am being 'anonymous' (see how long that lasts).

By the way, did you ever decide on a laptop bag/case?

4:38 p.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Oh yes, I have orderd a bag. It is very very not worth mentioning (which wasn't really what I thought I'd end up getting, that's for sure) - but it has amazing ratings for durablitiy and storage space... and it was marked down from over $100 to $19.99 no tax, no s&h.

I hummed and haw'd for a couple days (those who know me and buying something know what that means) and thought I didn't want it because it wasn't funky or anything.

But I had to carry my laptop up to Jim's parents' and back and I used his bag and really really got the clear understanding about having a good sturdy bag (feeling secure) and a good shoulder strap - cause that thing gets heavey after a bit.

Plus the sale made me feel better *wink*

11:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Aaron said...

Little doubt, the dude is completely fair.
free invitation maker | garage heater | chicken casserole ideas

6:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home