Monday, January 17, 2005

Ahh, shopping...

Well I have a laptop. But no laptop bag. Today Jim and I wandered a bit to try and find a bag, but either the store had ... ohhh.. three bags total (and all were positively *meh*), or they had tonnes of bags all costing $356 and upwards, or they were in my price range but unable to get more than ONE of my desired traits at a time.

I'd like some combo of the following (understanding that not all could exist together):

  • Padded computer area
  • Shoulder strap
  • Messenger-bag style fold over flap
  • Cute and Girly (or)
  • Nifty and Funky
  • A computer area - and room in the rest of the bag for a few other things
  • Not too massive or "luggage" looking
  • Stylish
  • Affordable
  • Trustworthy to not kill my laptop (ie: durable)

And here are some that I've found so far.

#1Kenneth Cole Messenger Bag. $39.99 Classic. Stylish. Very nice.

http://www.bagsforme.com/cgi-bin/BFMstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=KC-531355

#2 Crumpler. $49.95 So funky. I like all the colours - but am certainly drawn to the greenish grey.. and the dark grey.. and the red. Okay, I'm not keen on the blue.

http://www.bagsforme.com/cgi-bin/BFMstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=CR-MBL

#3 Sumdex. Eep $69.99 (but with free s&h...) Pretty, though. Like a purse!

http://www.bagsforme.com/cgi-bin/BFMstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=SD-NON-905

#4 Sumdex. $67.50 (but a returned one for $45.99) Ohh, like a purse again!

http://www.bagsforme.com/cgi-bin/BFMstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=SD-NON-903

#5 Black Leather *drool* $61.95 (and also totally moving outside my price range - okay, a few of them do this *doh*)

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=20021

#6 NEBO Sport Travel Briefcase. $24.49!! And I'd be SportySpice *wink*

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1004574

#7 Black nylon shoulder bag. Samsonite. $49.99. Very Cute.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1076961&CatId=38


#8 Pacific Design Messenger Bag. $35.95. Very Organised.
http://www.bagsforme.com/bags/PD-0177

Thoughts? Comments? Links of your own? Other websites to shop?

*wave*

jenn


7 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

I edited to add prices and two more that I had found the other day but didn't think to add last night.

I'm spending waaay too much time thinking about this.

10:47 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal favourite is #7 the Samsonite. Second is the red or beige that look like that (you said purse-like).

Mine has a compartment to lay my laptop flat, and is padded around the edges. Inside is a strap to fasten over the top of the laptop to hold it even firmer. On the inside of the 'lid' are pockets for floppy disks and small bits. It zips up and I think has little holes for a padlock. On the outside of the 'lid' is a flap, and the entire front of the lid is a wallet/pocket flap, for A4 papers etc. It has a shoulder strap and also a little handle on the case itself so you can detach the shoulder strap and carry it like a briefcase (useful for when I'm lugging my heavy shoulder bag on the train for a trip or something).

If you want, I shall take photos so you can see, and then go into a shop, point at a hapless salesperson and say "This, me want!" [grin]

(or not, if it's not your style, but it encompasses all you wanted. I think it was pretty cheap, no more than £30 tops, so um maybe $70 CAN? (If it is $2.3 Can = £1). About $50 US, if it's about $1.6 = £1.

I've spent way too much time thinking about this reply, to a post which you spent way too much time thinking about [wink]

Callie

1:28 p.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

*laugh*

I like your long, thought out comment to go with my long-drawn out post *wink*

I really am torn between some of these. I love the style of some, but then think I shouldn't be silly and that I should get the more 'organised' ones. I'm not sure why I need my bag to be organised. No matter what I don't doubt my ability to make it disorganised despite handy pockets and the like.

But shoulder straps are also an issue.

Yes, I'm over thinking this again.

xoxo

3:20 p.m.  
Blogger Laura Barth said...

I like #2, the funky one. The red is my favourite. I think #3 is also nice (in the red ... sensing a prejudice here?). The samsonite one is nice too. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the whole, it's a computer bag that looks like a purse thing, though.

Happy Shopping,

Laura

5:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, you are (thinking about this way too much). But hey, who am I to talk... anyway, that's not why I am posting. I have some news for you... Coral, Cali, and Leone all know already (and you don't, naa na!), but it was recommended that I phone you to tell you. I still have Jim's number (somewhere) so if I phone you in the next few days, it's for news (good news), not some tragic accident regarding your sister (which would be my first impression/worst fear if I got a phone call from my sisters landlord - I hate that term, landlord, and I hate to think I am one...)

Background note: as I mentioned in a comment to one of Leone's postings, Coral showed me the blog thing when she was over last Sunday... that's how I *found* where you were hiding in New York.

Jill

4:15 p.m.  
Blogger Annika said...

I'm late to the party! But I found this site with the coolest bags: http://www.acmemade.com/index.html

Maybe your perfect laptop bag is waiting for you there.

5:27 p.m.  
Blogger Annika said...

P.s. Beware of sticker shock. Their prices go from somewhat reasonable to "I could get married for that."

5:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home