Wednesday, November 10, 2004

You give me fever (props to Callie)

So I was just sitting here thinking, if the grad office were a reality TV show - which character would I be? I mean, don't we all want to be the sympathetic fully-realised character? Quite possibly I could be the bitchy one, though. Depends on who you talk to up here. I tend to give death-glares to those who seem unaware of the five or so people trying to write and who insist on chit-chatting at full volume. This one guy was projecting his conversation to the whole office yesterday and I think this one girl was about to throw him off the balcony. What does this all mean? It means I'm trying so so so to finish this chapter. I am but a few hours away - I can feel it. But this damned structure is bugging me. Oh, that and that I think I have a fever. I've been fighting off a cold for weeks, actually. And yesterday it arrived while I was busy looking for duct tape.

Or something like that.

All in all it has made it's little bastard germy way into my life - well, my throat and sinuses to be exact. Although I'm thinking the sinuses are the deal, and the throat is the side-effect. But everything is all muffled and I'm sure I'm driving people crazy with the sneezing and the blowing of the nose. And my voice is all raspy. Which should be interesting as I'll be on the radio tomorrow morning and I hope the raspy comes across as sexy *grin*. I was asked about most important political issue blah-ditty-blah so I went on a bit as I can do at times. S'all good. Yeah, I totally have a fever. I promised myself I could go home once this chapter was done, but then I start thinking maybe I should just go home period. I really really want to send this one off, though and don't want to give myself another pass. You know, there is such a fine balance between pushing yourself and being firm and.. well.. being counterproductive.

Right, the chapter. It's the damned April Raintree that is getting me bogged down right now. As we've talked about when I chatted with Dani, the text can be... difficult to peg down. I think it is a perfect example of what happens to identity construction when Native children are not give positive representations or supportive family structures - in this case due to foster homes and orphanages. I also think that April and her sister Cheryl are actually a single person attempting to come to terms with both their Native and non-Native identities and what society can tell 'them' about what it means to be one or the other. It is just a tough text because April's character spews amazingly self-hating anti-native comments at every turn. And right now I'm having trouble knowing what all to say at times. I have a feeling my supervisor would just tell me to write that - the contradictions of working with a text such as this. Maybe I'll go do that now and see if I can go home then.

Look at me, blog update!

6 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Colds come at the absolute *worst* times. Must be the stress. Load up on zinc and vitamin C, and get lots of sleep. [/mom] Nyquil does wonders, too. Feel better soon!

7:00 a.m.  
Blogger Laura Barth said...

Hmmm... I'm starting to feel a little sickly too. Maybe I should take a break! Just kidding :P Take care of yourself and feel better soon sweetie.

Love,

Laura

1:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, look look! I'm in a title! Now I feel special [girlkissers]

And you'll feel better soon,I order the cold to go away now. Yes.

You'll no doubt be glad to know that despite being cold, I'm not getting one. A cold I mean. Just tired.

Hugs and kisses to my favourite peanut ;-)

2:47 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

It sounds complex, but I do love the two-characters-as-one-person idea.

If I were in a reality TV show I would probably be voted off very quickly. Having said that, there was a chap in the French equivalent of Big Brother (Loft Story) who was fairly like me, called Philippe. He was my favourite and he got much further than I thought he would.

Keep plugging away at the paper - but once you're well!

10:59 a.m.  
Blogger Vicki said...

Ick! Welcome to cold & flu season; I hope you get time to have a good rest and heal up this weekend.

11:16 p.m.  
Blogger allison said...

I hear you, honey. I am in the throes of report cards and my throat and nose keep insisting that I need to go home and take massive amounts of Nyquil. Or martinis.

Sometimes my sinuses get strange cravings...

3:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home