Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Whole New Year

So I hate New Years. As a rule. I hate the pressure to go out and "DO" something. I dislike the notion that this is the only time to revamp things. And I find it kinda *meh* generally speaking.

I enjoyed my evening last night. Went to spend time with my friend, her partner, and their baby. We had a great visit, some pizza and snacks, and I was home by 10:30pm. Perfect as I had wanted to phone my younger sister before it was too late that night. It was her last evening in Canada for this year. She left today for Sudan to begin a one year contract with MSF and I'm so excited for her. This is something she's wanted to do for so very long. So off she's gone. And I didn't really let myself think about it over Christmas. But last night it really did hit me that I wouldn't be able to call her any time of the day! Who knew?? Who the hell was I going to call when I was having a weird money crisis? A feminist confusion? When I needed someone to confirm that the second-waver I had just dealt with was unable to fully comprehend my knitting/media-watching/lipstick wearing thirdwaving self?

So I'm not sure what to do about all this. I'm pretty sad and bummed out and only writing this now as she's on a plane and can't read it. But I'm also so proud of her and I envy the adventure she's started and her dedication to what she believes in.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Bears said...

*hugs*

And you can always call me to chat about anything. Well, I'm not sure I can help much with that second waver who doesn't get a third waver like you thing, but the other things.

*more hugs*

Jim

3:02 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

That is going to be fantastic for her. I wish her luck, and you too!

Also, I agree with you on the New Year's thing.

3:38 p.m.  
Blogger Dogeared said...

I didn't even have a drink!

I think it would have been nice to get together with friends, some food, a few drinks,chill and hang out. My old housemate Vicky got two friends over, and they had lobster and fancy, treat food- in several courses, and some champagne. The year I lived with her, we had a lovely salmon and veg, with ice cream and wine- it was all about friends together, good food and drink.

And I still don't know which sister is which, and who are your friends! I get them all mixed up-but good luck to the travelling doc, it'll be excellent!

4:09 p.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

You could totally call me about all your feminist confusion! I mean, it'd still be international, but at least our time zones are close together.

Honky Moo Year!

4:35 p.m.  
Blogger Meghan said...

Yep... New Year's is waaaaaaaaay overrated. We had a nice one last night, but it was more just friends hanging out and chilling together.

That's really cool for your sister, but I know how hard it is to have one of your best friends half a world away for a year.

6:18 p.m.  
Blogger Melly said...

ugh second wavers! Bug giant third waver hugs to you.

10:28 p.m.  
Blogger AngelaRae said...

I spent New Years with friends. It seems to be becoming a lovely tradition.

You could also totally talk to me about the thirdwaver thing. Unlike Jess, a little bit apart on the time zone deal, but not international!

I follow your sister's blog, and I've gotta say I think she's doing an awesome thing too. If it's possible to be proud of someone you only know third hand, I am. [up]

9:51 a.m.  
Blogger Vicki said...

Yes indeedy! I don't get the New Year's hype, either. I'd rather say home where it's warm, quiet, and much less inexpensive.

Many belated holiday wishes to you and yours. :)

11:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home