Monday, January 02, 2006

So about that whole going back to work tomorrow...

*meh*


In related news, I've used the break to really think about what I want from work. Pretty much comes down to the notion of purpose and actually doing something, feeling like I'm helping people, feeling like I'm useful and being productive. I've actually thought about this a fair bit over the holidays and I'm hopeful that this coming year will see me moving more towards a bit more rewarding work.



... or something like that.

9 Comments:

Blogger Annika said...

Or else scads and scads of money.

10:58 p.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Yeah, that is totally the other trade off. I could handle a slighly usless job where maybe I don't feel as much purpose that is tied to my life - but I at least have a bit of fun and make cart-loads of money.

You so understand me.

11:10 p.m.  
Blogger Julia said...

just keep going with your heart and you'll be fine. although that's what sent your little sister to the other side of the planet :)

2:37 a.m.  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Trust me, the making scads of money at a job you don't particularly like is not all it's cracked up to be.

You can do it for about oh....9 or 10 years before it starts sucking your soul out through your eyeballs.

10:26 a.m.  
Blogger Dogeared said...

I realised the other day, that although I want a job where I feel I make a difference- translation, or teaching or something, I might be happy in a more run of the mill, say as a receptionist, if I were doing something outside of work, such as volunteering. I want to do something, either at work or outside of work, where I help people.

That was a little revelation for me.

Good luck with this year, I could do with the same!

11:21 a.m.  
Blogger Meghan said...

Well, I love my job mostly, but it's starting to be not enough for me. I'm wanting to start a second business in the next couple years.

Moral is, stagnation = death. So, unless your job is one you can grow with in lots of ways... it's time to adventure out into less charted waters.

9:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a job that has the potential to make a difference and be intellectually challenging and satisfying in a lot of ways. I worked really hard to get here. And now that I'm in my dream job, I'm putting so much pressure on myself that I'm stressed all the time, not accomplishing what I could, and not feeling as fulfilled and interested as I'd hoped. I'm hoping this will change and I'll settle into this better soon. But there are definitely days when I wish I'd just gone for the well-paying but slightly useless job and found my satisfaction elsewhere. Ya, I need pills or perspective or something.

4:55 a.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

Good luck with that. I'm hopeful that there's a position that fulfils your criteria, just lying in wait.

Yes.

6:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Trust me, the making scads of money at a job you don't particularly like is not all it's cracked up to be.

You can do it for about oh....9 or 10 years before it starts sucking your soul out through your eyeballs."

I made it closer to 12 before moving on, but then again, I have no soul left. And I'm a bit nearsighted.

So it's a trade-off. *nods*

Good luck, Sweetie!

*kisses*
Jim

9:16 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home