Pet Peeve
*phone rings at 10:00pm last night*
'Hi Jenn? This is [the girl I tutor]. Right. Um, I need you to come tomorrow at 11am as well as the scheduled 4pm."
S'cuse me? Because I'm sitting at home just putting my entire life on hold waiting for you to call? "I have a meeting at 11. At my job." You know, that other part of my life that exists when I'm not sitting around waiting for you to give me duties...
Student: "yeah, but - um - I have these three papers to hand in tomorrow."
We meet five days a week. As Cali states poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine... "I'm sorry, but you already changed this week's schedule once and actually got rid of the 11am session we had scheduled and I now have a meeting then."
Student: "...."
So what do I do? Right, I start feeling guilty. This student depends on me. She also has just financed my new front brake pads. I like to help out. I want to be supportive. "Listen, I'll give you a call from work and see what my schedule looks like..." The half of my brain that isn't a wuss groans at me "noooooooooo!!!!"
Student: "okay, good. Thank you"
I phone mom. Mom sets me straight. I find spine again.
Now I just need to phone her. I hate crap like this.
*grumble*
'Hi Jenn? This is [the girl I tutor]. Right. Um, I need you to come tomorrow at 11am as well as the scheduled 4pm."
S'cuse me? Because I'm sitting at home just putting my entire life on hold waiting for you to call? "I have a meeting at 11. At my job." You know, that other part of my life that exists when I'm not sitting around waiting for you to give me duties...
Student: "yeah, but - um - I have these three papers to hand in tomorrow."
We meet five days a week. As Cali states poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine... "I'm sorry, but you already changed this week's schedule once and actually got rid of the 11am session we had scheduled and I now have a meeting then."
Student: "...."
So what do I do? Right, I start feeling guilty. This student depends on me. She also has just financed my new front brake pads. I like to help out. I want to be supportive. "Listen, I'll give you a call from work and see what my schedule looks like..." The half of my brain that isn't a wuss groans at me "noooooooooo!!!!"
Student: "okay, good. Thank you"
I phone mom. Mom sets me straight. I find spine again.
Now I just need to phone her. I hate crap like this.
*grumble*


4 Comments:
Well it looks like she could use some tutoring in life lessons too! Today's lesson can "Ugh yeah, you don't own me, next time plan ahead." Do you want to borrow the harsh chip from my brain? I can try and email it.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
How utterly incosiderate. It's not your problem that she's disorganised. And I can't believe she called you at 11pm! That's disgraceful.
So wait- she cancels a session earlier this week, meaning you don't get money (she should sitll have paid for that, last minute and all). And now she wants you to drop everything to see her?
Damn straight she'll fit in around you. Want me to call her? (oh yeah- transatlantic is not good. Well the thought's there!)
Callie
Post a Comment
<< Home