Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken."

-Jinny Sims

Thanks to Julia for the quote. And thanks to the Bears for their solidaridoo. And thanks to Jim for supportive emails as I'm feeling rather poopy today. And thanks to Leone for bringing my tea into the living room. And thanks to my dad for saying he would go to jail for mom.

And thanks to my mom for being someone who has always inspired us to decide when enough is enough and when to stand up for something we believe in.

Even though it feels horrible so much of the time, and we know we'd rather just be engaged in teaching and learning and just living our lives. But we know that at a certain point we can no longer accept what is unacceptable. And that the balance of power shifts too greatly when employers hold all the cards. That is what negotiating is about. Otherwise we are all just working at that crap job in the crap mall for minimum wage all hours of the day, all days of the week, with no security and no hope of being anything other than desperate.

I am so proud of the people in my life.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revolutionaries are so sexy!

Power to the Teachers!

*kisses*
Jim

4:23 p.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

Solidaritoo!

4:31 p.m.  
Blogger AngelaRae said...

As already mentioned elsewhere: go teachers!

7:48 p.m.  
Blogger allison said...

Seriously, if you haven't been in the shoes of a teacher, you have no idea how hard these people work. I thought I had a clue before I started teaching, now I regularly wonder how I and my colleagues do this job.

The answer? We want to make a difference. We do make a difference!

Support the BC teachers! They support your future.

8:16 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

Teachers, good teachers, should be the highest paid people in society. I've tried it, and I sucked, but it gave me a much higher respect for those who can do it well.

Go teachers!

12:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home