Tuesday, October 25, 2005

NEED MORE JOBS!

Any input on what I should be when I grow up?

Do I want a real job?

Do I have any idea what my real job could be?

I'm considering all these jobs that sound just fine, but I worry about what they mean for my long-term career goals.

And then I realise I should probably get me some of those long-term career goals.

And then I realise I'm PMSing and this will probably not feel so horrible in a week.


In other words, the job I thought I might like I never even got called for an interview. Now I'm looking at this academic advisor job which sounds cool. I mean, I like telling people about what they need to do to meet graduation requirements. I think I'd rock in that job.


Finally, I've been offered the chance to teach this spring. Two choices: intro to feminism and pop culture or a course on First Nations women's lit. The second would be 'easier' as I've got the stuff all ready to go. But I'm drawn to the first one for some variety and fun. Any input? WHat all would you teach for feminism and pop culture?

(no really, what texts? I need suggestions!)

xoxo
jenn

8 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

Feminism and pop culture?

Well, there's this show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer--perhaps you've heard of it.

Okay, real answer tomorrow when I have had some sleep. :-)

8:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw shucks, allison stole my answer, which was going to be 'Buffy Buffy Buffy!'

'cept I wasn't joking.

Jill

p.s. does anyone else worry that they are going to screw up their word identification "test"? I actually find myself getting into a mini test-zone, concentration mode, and carefully type out the letters, follwed by a double check for accuracy. I'm such a nerd.

8:52 p.m.  
Blogger Sharon said...

After about 30 seconds thought I'd say you could do classes on post-modernism female identities in the media (I wrote my undergrad dissertation on this subject in relation to Buffy. Lots of stuff about fractured indentities, Buffy in the role of sister, daughter, teenager, hero, girlfriend, leader, mother, worker etc. I found 'What's My Line part II' was a really good ep to base this on. Also, any good P-M class has to mention Madonna [tongue]), Noir and 'Veronica Mars' (incl. empowerment, changing roles...), Women as 'action' heros (perhaps 'Kill Bill', maybe ideas of subverting the male gaze...), modern melodrama/soaps and the roles of women within them (The O.C. and similar), Sci-Fi and Sexuality (good 'ol 'Firefly' could come in useful here and I'm sure there are many others....)

Ummm, that's all my brain wants to spew forth at the moment. I'll be in touch again if I need to do any more essay-writing related procrastinating.....

4:18 a.m.  
Blogger The Bears said...

You should teach aboo Feminism and Poop Cultoo! You can teach aboo the adventoos of that poopoolar Bear on the internoo, Daphne Rose, and her triboolations living with a bunch of silly male Bears.

Also, like everyone said, Buffy!

And the new Buffy that character on Serenitoo becoo.

And from Buffy, you could follow the theme of women and the supernaturoo in poop cultoo, like Charmed and the fictoo of Pooppy Z. Brite.

And you could teach aboo online blog blogs and fan sites created by women.

And you can teach aboo Paris Hilton as the anti-feminist poop that keeps showing up in our cultoo!

OK Bye
Daphne Rose

10:48 a.m.  
Blogger allison said...

Oh, Jill, I wasn't joking at all. Hee.

5:29 p.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

Jill~ you aren't crazy at all. I do that too, mainly because I'm freaked that if it is wrong, I'll lose my comment, and apparently, that would end the world. Jenn~even though I could just tell you I'll write it anyways.... Lenore and Death in Sandman(chicks in goth), women in fantasy art (relevance... debatable... just throwing stuff down here) ie. Wendy Pini & elfquest, Amy Brown and her nippleless faeries, the amazing Brian Froud (even though he listed Morgana le Fay as a bad faerie), the ever buff women of Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell, um.... women in comics, so just ask Kathy, the only female at the comic store, the great white dork, because she is the only one who would know, cartoons and comics, though we already discussed that, but Susie in Calvin and Hobbes... maybe? Um... just lost a train of thought... women in pulp fiction.... now I'm just typing out loud so I'm going to go actually study. Or have a hot chocolate. Hm. Hot chocolate it is!

6:03 p.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

oh, and Susan Seddon-Boulet

6:19 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anti-boy shirts: what state of culture and feminism are they really symbolizing? The revoltingly commercialized grrl-power movement: how it trivialized the feminist movement, or did it?

5:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home