Thursday, April 07, 2005

Final Run-Through

Okay, so trying to just focus on handing this in to my committee. Jim and I had a great talk about what to focus on in order to finish, and I think sometimes I focus on some aspects of perfection rather than completion.

So going for completion now.

Which led to the question "what is necessary to hand this into your committee?"

Reply: "A final run-through to edit for spelling, minor grammar, consistency of terms (I used one term early on but found others I liked much better in later chapter writings so need to use those instead), removing stage directions, completing any sentences, integrating or removing quotes."

Sometimes this goes quick, but some spots I've left stage directions like "write a paragraph on colonisation and gender here" or I've got a paragraph with two sentences of my own and five dropped quotes (quotes just stuck onto the page and not worked into the discussion). So I can't gloss over those anymore. I need to just sit there on that page and either write the paragraphs and work in the quotes or take the whole thing out and plunk into my file called "stuff I can't be bothered with right now but might need later so I'll keep it handy if someone on my committee says 'hey you should write a paragraph on colonisation and gender right here.'" Well, okay the file is just called "random removed crap" - but you get the picture.

My goal is ten pages of editing a day for five days a week. This would have me passing this off by the end of April. My hard stop is May 3rd. One way or another it gets handed over then.

At that point my committee has a go at it. I'm hoping for a few comments here and there. Pointing out any grammar mistakes, asking for clarification of a term or two, and maybe asking for a bit of expansion on an idea or a connection. They can then hand it back and say one of two things - either they'll want me to do major revisions and then they'll go through it again or they'll want a few minor editing issues taken care of and for only my supervisor to have to see it again before going to the Dean's Office. Of course, I'm hoping for the latter.

Either way, once the committee is satisfied I print off a clean copy and take it to the Dean's Office. At that point I wait for my defense to be scheduled. This can take up to six weeks of waiting and during that time I'm not allowed to alter my thesis. The copy I hand in is the copy circulated to committee members and the external examiner.

Defense is a 25min presentation by me, followed by my three committee members plus one external having three rounds of questions (with allowed follow up questions on each one if similar in content) and then questions from the audience. A final word by me and then the session closes. Audience and I are booted out so the committee can make a decision about both the presentation and the hard copy of the thesis before them. I'm called back in and given my grade. The options I will talk about are the passing ones - pass with major revisions, pass with minor revision, pass with no revisions.

We all want the latter. Because that means that's it. DONE. Minor revisions are okay. That means there are a few issues of clarification which the committee feels confident about based on my oral defense abilities. They note them, I make them, and I only need my supervisor to sign off on 'em. Major revisions suck donkey balls. That means they were not totally satisfied, and are not all certain about the changes being made to their specifications. These revisions must then be okay'd by the entire committee (and if you have one hard-ass in the group, this is a pain).

So my goal really revolves around FINISHING, but finishing with a product that will pass with minor or no revisions at the defense. So there we go!

I've made a little tracker on the sidebar for your thesis enjoyment.

xoxo
jenn

8 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

jenn that's awesome! i'm so proud of you. if you want me to read anything for you as well let me know.

1:40 p.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

Thanks Ju! And I've updated for today and decided to have a * reflect a finished chapter. I'm doing that because I'm cutting down on my page count as I edit and want to reflect that in the 9/10 - meaning all nine pages are done and woohoo I cut it down one! So far I've gotten chapter one down to 23 pages *dance*.

3:15 p.m.  
Blogger allison said...

Wow! You are so focused and motivated and organized and all. I am really impressed.

I am also officially terrified of anything even remotely resembling a post-graduate degree now. Remind me that the next time I start nattering on about that Masters in Equity program,'k?

4:45 p.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

Go you, with your being organised and stuff!

6:14 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go team Jenn! That is awesome, well done!

:hugs:

Callie

2:21 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

The whole thing just sounds so terrifying. I'm going to have homework nightmares.

Good luck!

3:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pass with no revisions, baby. No doubt.
I wonder what they discuss when they boot everyone out. My decision came back so quickly, it pretty much seemed more for form's sake. It was rather nervewracking. I can't even remember most of the defence. I remember having a dry mouth, not being able to start reading...that's about it. ^^;

5:08 a.m.  
Blogger Eileen said...

That sounds absolutely terrifying. The idea of a thesis always put me off ever doing a doctorate, but the idea of doing that presentation thing makes me want to run away screaming. Good luck with it. It sounds like you're well on your way though.

9:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home