Wednesday, March 16, 2005

K1 vs K3

What's that you say? My title is in some strange other language. Why yes it is. It is in the language of immigration to the US.

*doh*

So Jim and I have spent the last two days trying to figure out the differences between visas for me getting to the us. As well, we're playing with timelines and different celebration options. I really really wanted us to get "real" married in Canada, but that seems a more difficult route in some ways.

No matter which route (k1 or k3) there is waiting involved. Like months and months.
If we get married in Canada (K3) the waiting has to happen AFTER the wedding. If we get married in the states (K1) the waiting happens before the wedding. See, the K3 is "bring your wife to the US" and K1 is "bring your fiance to the US" and they are about equal in time.

With all that, the K1 just seems like a no-brainer. Except I think I really wanted my "real" wedding to be in Canada. I'm trying to get over that. Now, we can have a celebration of our love in canada (that sounds either dirty or 70's cheesy - I can't tell which) that can be everything I actually want for the wedding. And then when we get down to the states we can just do the legal thing at the courthouse.

The timelines run something like this: if we want to get married for real in canada (K3) we will have about six to eight months after the wedding where I'll have to stay in canada and Jim will be in the states. This is kinda not cool as if we do it this summer I'll be married, done my thesis, and sitting in mom and dad's basement waiting for the Visa to be processed. The other option is to get married RIGHT AWAY and just plan the separation to be necessary as I'll still need to finish the ol' thesis.

The other route is to start Visa now (K1), plan on it taking six months, plan party for Fall, get K1Visa in fall around that time (exact date not too fussy), go on honeymoon, go to states with K1, get married within 90 days of getting to US.

Oh and then add to all this that Jim and I are unsure if we want to try for a fall wedding/thingy or just go for next Spring. And in that case it gets kinda hairy as the posting forums are iffy about getting into the states once their records show a Visa in process... so once we start this our travels get a bit more difficult.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go let my head explode now.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Che? Huh? Wha?

I got totally lost reading that (it's a familiar feeling the last few days), so I don't envy you that!

I hope you sort out something, I think things migh not necessarily turn out how we originally wanted, but it's usually for the best and ends up as good/better.

Hugs and paracetamol!

Callie

12:36 p.m.  
Blogger Annika said...

Nevermind this nonsense. I want to talk about wedding plans!

10:55 a.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

I thought this post was going to be about Ultimate Fighting.

I like the ceremony in Canada, document-signing in the US option. Seems simplest to me, but that's only my two cents.

12:16 p.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

well~I think if you have to stick around in Canada for six to eight months, you shouldn't spend it in Mom and Dad's basement (not that there is anything wrong with that, it's lovely and perfect {hi mom}) but you should travel! At least go across Canada, I mean you haven't done that since like what... high school? And if you go to Truro, in Nova Scotia, seriously our relatives there, who like are our fifth cousins of some uncle who married this chick or something, treat us like royalty! And Montreal rules and PEI is very pretty and the bridge is soooo freaky and you should definately go across Canada should you and Jim chose that route. Tra la la. Or just stay in PG with me and we'll go shopping! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

12:25 p.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

Another advantage of the K1 is that you know several people who have already done it and can answer questions/be a shoulder to rant at. (That metaphor went a-wandering, didn't it?)

Mike and Vicki did exactly that with the big ceremony and party in Canada, and the quickie courthouse wedding when they arrived in the US, and I think it worked out well for them.

I don't really have a recommendation one way or the other, because processing times have changed since I started this thing (K1 used to be quicker than K3), but whatever you choose, I'm here in case you want to ask me anything.

12:53 p.m.  
Blogger Amethyst Anne said...

Ouch! K1? K3? Leave it to some American bureaucrat to come up with something so original and completely confusing!! ( Disclaimer: Canadian Bureaucrats are really the same) What does the K stand for anyway? - The form you have to fill out?? Now my head hurts -ack!
*hugs*

4:12 p.m.  
Blogger Vicki said...

What Jess said. Mike and I had the big wedding in Canada, save for a marriage licence, and then we just got married at the court house here in the States. The benefit being that we got to be together while the INS was processing my paperwork -- a big deal for us, since I kept having trouble entering the states before we were married. Plus, two weddings means two anniversaries which means two presents. ;)

8:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Duane said...

It cannot truly have success, I believe so.
gametop games | free ride games virus | best free games | free games | play hidden object

11:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Joachim said...

This cannot truly work, I believe so.
canal lachine

10:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home