Immigration
Which I am currently singing along to as if it were "definition" - whoo!
But really, it is not as fun as one might think. Immigration, that is. I know, I know. All the parties, all the celebrities, the fun and games, the thrill of the paperwork.
It has been slow as we are waiting on the FBI clearance (fyi, 3-5 weeks is currently clocking in at about three months according to the lady at the FBI). Oh yeah, we got a number to call and everything. Direct line to FBI. What did people do before there were immigration forums with search functions?
So at least we know the delay is just part of how it is right now - not about Jim in any way. So we can't do medicals until FBI is in. Medicals set the limiting factor on the timeframe. They are only valid for 12 months and if, for whatever reason, the Immigration were not totally completed in that 12 months - we have to do them again. And that is costly (time and money), so we wait until everything else is done and in/back/sealed/photographed/written on.
Today, though, small victory. We got the Immigration pictures done. This took research as they state right on the form "THESE ARE NOT PASSPORT PICTURES" - no, of course not.
They are different.
Because just going to one of the ninety million places that do passport pics would be way too easy. Yes, must make them different.
Jim and I finally realise, though, that we can go and get passport pics done and just crop them ourselves. We have it all planned out. So we go to costco and plan to get them to do passport and we'll edit them ourselves. Plus we need 4 passport as well for the medicals. So we'll get 8 in total.
The lady is like, "oh yeah, we do PR photos too. No worries."
Oh. Very good. Thanks.
(I don't know, I just wouldn't have assumed that they did PR pictures - it says that NOWHERE on their big signs...)
Yay!
And we wait some more. But with pictures. And with that said, here is a pic from our reception:
This is our wonderful cake from the reception. For me it had chocolate cake (and then people said, but can you have a chocolate wedding cake with white icing - oh yes, I say). For Jim it had butter icing.
And my mom picked it out and ordered it for us. She pretty much did the whole reception. Moms rock.
But really, it is not as fun as one might think. Immigration, that is. I know, I know. All the parties, all the celebrities, the fun and games, the thrill of the paperwork.
It has been slow as we are waiting on the FBI clearance (fyi, 3-5 weeks is currently clocking in at about three months according to the lady at the FBI). Oh yeah, we got a number to call and everything. Direct line to FBI. What did people do before there were immigration forums with search functions?
So at least we know the delay is just part of how it is right now - not about Jim in any way. So we can't do medicals until FBI is in. Medicals set the limiting factor on the timeframe. They are only valid for 12 months and if, for whatever reason, the Immigration were not totally completed in that 12 months - we have to do them again. And that is costly (time and money), so we wait until everything else is done and in/back/sealed/photographed/written on.
Today, though, small victory. We got the Immigration pictures done. This took research as they state right on the form "THESE ARE NOT PASSPORT PICTURES" - no, of course not.
They are different.
Because just going to one of the ninety million places that do passport pics would be way too easy. Yes, must make them different.
Jim and I finally realise, though, that we can go and get passport pics done and just crop them ourselves. We have it all planned out. So we go to costco and plan to get them to do passport and we'll edit them ourselves. Plus we need 4 passport as well for the medicals. So we'll get 8 in total.
The lady is like, "oh yeah, we do PR photos too. No worries."
Oh. Very good. Thanks.
(I don't know, I just wouldn't have assumed that they did PR pictures - it says that NOWHERE on their big signs...)
Yay!
And we wait some more. But with pictures. And with that said, here is a pic from our reception:
This is our wonderful cake from the reception. For me it had chocolate cake (and then people said, but can you have a chocolate wedding cake with white icing - oh yes, I say). For Jim it had butter icing.And my mom picked it out and ordered it for us. She pretty much did the whole reception. Moms rock.


10 Comments:
One of the layers of the wedding cake at geswho's wedding, had chocolate cake with white icing. It was yummy.
Especially as I don't like fruit cake.
My favorite is white cake with chocolate frosting.
Does FBI mean something different in Canada than it means in the US?
Just remembering all the paperwork (the paycheck stubs, the bank statements, the fingerprints, the story of our romance) makes me shudder . Now, in order to apply for Canadian citizenship, I have to tell them each date and duration of my trips outside of Canada. Holy frickin' cow!!
I hate bureaucracies.
Am I supposed to be writing you a letter? I am braindead!
Anyone who wants to write letters is still more than welcome to do so. Again, you'll be quicker than the FBI still.
And Amanda, it is your FBI we're waiting on. They have to tell the Canadian Government that Jim is okay.
Only I think they use more words than that.
And Amanda, it is your FBI we're waiting on. They have to tell the Canadian Government that Jim is okay.
Only I think they use more words than that.
Well it wouldn't be beaurocracy if they used as few words as you did. They need to use "at this present moment in time" at least 7 times.
Well, that makes a complete amount of sense. And it amuses me that Jim now has an FBI file, or not, depending on if they've started yet.
You folks never gave me the info of whom to send the letter.
I have an FBI file! We should start a club. My application two years ago was held up by the FBI, too, but it didn't take too much longer than it should have. Even though the details are different between US and Canadian immigration, I feel your pain!
*quiet voice*
Can I have some cake?
Post a Comment
<< Home