Interview Questions
I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon to take part in an Aboriginal Writers Festival - as an interviewer for a film being made about the event. Some of the artists I know more than others.
I'm looking for various questions you all would ask if you were interviewing writers.They need to be some combination of specific and open-ended. Feel free to put lots of thought into this, or just fire off whatever comes to mind. Hey, I leave tomorrow... I'm scrambling.
I'm looking for various questions you all would ask if you were interviewing writers.They need to be some combination of specific and open-ended. Feel free to put lots of thought into this, or just fire off whatever comes to mind. Hey, I leave tomorrow... I'm scrambling.
- What questions specific to their work would you ask an author? (feel free to name the specific author or just give guidelines)
- What questions would you ask an author you didn't know as well?
- What kinds of personal questions would you ask them - somehow relating to writing/creativity/art?
- What questions to avoid?
- What questions would you ask Aboriginal authors (Native American) that you think could be specific to their experiences?
Thanks all!


6 Comments:
Avoid questions like "Where do you get your ideas?"
I like:
"Which writers inspire you?"
"What about writing most surprised you?"
"How do you do your work, do you schedule a time each day, do you have a special place?"
I've got another question in my head about the writing voice and aboriginal background, but I can't articulate it. Hmmmf.
okay, so there's the ones about the author (more personal)
what's the last book you read?
what is your favorite way to hear a story?
if you had to be represented by a sock monkey, what kind of sock would you use?
and then there's the writing process
i've noticed the pace of this writing is a slower rythm, very deliberate, was this reflected in the writing process itself for you? (alternatively for a speedy like pace)
what is your ideal way/form to tell a story?
how do you decide the type of voice for your novel and what are the barriers that you encounter?
and then book specific (although you don't need to know the whole book, maybe just read the back of some first)
many of your books address X theme. how has this theme come to mean a lot in your writing?
how does the current political climate change the context of X book?
now i wanna go.
Hopefully I've not missed you. I would ask questions about their work being a commentary on 'the real world'. Um something about influences, inspirations and what they hope the impacts of the work might be. What is the current climate like for First Nations authors, how could they be more supported, or are they recieving enough support. do they feel like their work is promoted well, what audience is it reaching. Depending on the work, you could ask about it reaching school children, is it being used in classrooms etc. Could ask about their sense of accomplishment. Okay, I think tha's it for my brain storm.
Thanks everyone!!
*hugs*
Damn it, stop being so fabulous and come update your blog!
It cannot succeed as a matter of fact, that's what I suppose.
Beef Shreds With Green Pepper
Post a Comment
<< Home