Saturday, July 30, 2005

Spelling Sucks.

I couldn't bring myself to type that as sux or suks.....

But really. Stupid spelling. I hate when I want to type something to somebody and I rephrase what I'm going to say to avoid a word I don't feel like looking up. Sure, once I've had to spell something a certain number of times I'm okay with it (like committee, for example). But there are all these simple words I just cannot seem to remember. And I've always been a bit of a horrid speller. Okay, more than a bit.

I worry about calling someone sweaty rather than sweetie. High heals? heels? Oh and when I have a stomache ache I will usually call it an upset tummy. Both because of stomach(?) and ache. See the first time through the one ended up influencing the other.

Bahhhh!

13 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

I have the same problem.

8:32 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rofl. Sorry sweaty (oops- sweetie! [wink]). That sweaty/sweetie made me smile so much [kisses].

I'm pretty good on spelling, but it's a few such as cemetary- I can never remember whether it's '-ary' or '-ery'. But I rarely need the word. For the ones I can't remember, I do as you do, and go for another word.

Callie

3:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness, yes. It's worst when you type out a word you are normally perfectly comfortable about, then suddenly get all paranoid and have to race for dictionary.com...

~CosmicAvatar

3:30 a.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

oh, and I [heart] dictionary.com (and thank my lucky stars it was created), but sometimes I'm all in the flow of something and I hate having to open another window and wait for it to load and type in the word. I want my brain to just *hold* all that info. Why can't it? I mean, I read enough that it has seen all those words. But it seems to refuse to committ (oh, there's one of my horrid ones as that totally looks wrong) them to the hard drive.

I have avoided telling people how much I love the movie The Committments/Comittments/Comitments (see) because I can NEVER remember how to spell that blasted word. So I just tell them I like Annie instead.

Which I do.

But that is besides the point.

10:09 a.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

and, see, I just went and looked it up:

commit
commitments


*shakes fist at brain*

10:12 a.m.  
Blogger Laurie said...

Spelling's not one of my strong suits, but I'm such a perfectionist that I usually can't let myself misspell a word when I KNOW I don't have it right. For years I wouldn't use the word 'necessary' because I couldn't spell it. I used 'needed' instead.




(And I just looked up 'necessary' in the dictionary before I hit 'publish'.)

7:26 p.m.  
Blogger Yonners said...

if it makes you feel any better, the english language has more words than any other language and it is impossible to know them all. Or so I've heard. I wonder if I should look stuff up before I swear it off as truth. I think that's true. Sounds true. A prof said it so it must be true. Hee, I just typed prof cause I always spell professor wrong. I can usually get it if I think about it but I'm usually too lazy to put that effort in. get to work you.

9:25 p.m.  
Blogger Annika said...

If you use Firefox there is an extension that lets you highlight any word and when you right-click, one of the options is to look it up on dictionary.com in a new tab. BRILLIANT.

5:00 p.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

hmm, I do use firefox. I thought it was excellent before, but NOW I know it is the BESTEST EVER!

6:39 p.m.  
Blogger Mindi Scott said...

In the world I've created that doesn't use x or c, you would be best to use "suks." :-)

8:35 a.m.  
Blogger Eileen said...

I love Annie!



What do you mean that's not the point of the post?

9:00 a.m.  
Blogger jenn said...

I love annie too. See, I should just stick with that. Of course, now I'm feeling better about The Commitments. Like I said, I just have to work at it a bit, but there are soooo many. Professor is one too. Oh, it is the double letters that get me.

9:51 a.m.  
Blogger Amethyst Anne said...

"License"..is the worst word for me, but like you, I have a ton of other words I cannot spell to save my soul..a spelling bee champ I am not.

1:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home