Thursday, July 07, 2005

And I laugh a sort of bitter laugh

Just looked back at my claim I was figuring out how to do less.

HA! [/bitter laugh again]

Week has carried on as per monday's post. Started new job at uni. It is excellent and amazingly fun and makes me feel very effective and useful. I have a title. I will post it later.

It is only 20hrs a week. Still feeling I need to work another job too in order to be a real adult. Despite this job paying well enough to stand on it's own. I'm trying to just let this job be enough for right now. At least for this week until I slow down a smidge.

Did interview on tuesday for gov't job (the one with the test - yes, I'll just mention that again *grin*). Told them at end that I had some time conflicts. Was totally taken out of my hands as training week (a plane-ride away) is week my thesis defense is being planned for. Well, that is that eh?

But hoooo-boy were they disappointed. When the dude came to get me from the waiting room he commented again on my score and how impressed they were. I refrained from asking if I could just get some sort of cash prize right then and there. Or at least a gold start. Happy face sticker?

Did interview. Was amazing. No, really. I kept thinking "geez, I want to hire me listening to this!" So then at the end they went over the details of the job. The woman was very clear as she talked that she liked me. I liked her too - younger woman (errr, very very nice looking ), great suit, small diamond nose stud, Indo-canadian, British accent, funny, seemed very interested in all sorts of things I talked about. I don't know, I got the feeling if I said, "hey after this is done do you want to go grab dinner and become friends?" she would have smiled and agreed.

But I told them about the thesis time conflict. She actually tried to figure out how I could fly down, train for one day, fly back, defend, fly down again for rest of training. Errrmmmm, no. That would not be smart for my thesis work. So we talked about keeping me on for if someone bails part-way though the contract. Smiled, shook hands all around, and I went to go. As I shook her hand she wished me best of luck on my thesis and my job search.

So very very nice. I just left with such a warm fuzzy it almost had its own soundtrack. Upbeat happy type music.

So yes, started job, did interview - oh and researched stuff about wedding and marriage paperwork and running around for all that.

Helped roommate look at places. Helped roommate find place tonight. She'll be moving in the next two weeks. Busy busy!

Started working on thesis presentation.

And a whole lot of other insane running abouts.

Went over to watch more Firefly with zooey. We made it through 15min of an episode before the ringing of the phone (where she pretty much picked it up and said 'no, I'm still pregnant') and our ability to chat and chat and chat.. meant we finally had to get food and eat and then it was after nine and the episode was still not finished - but we were.

And tomorrow she goes to have baby. Baby who has decided to stay put. I'm sending her lots of good thoughts for tomorrow!

Okay, I'm going to bed!

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

You so totally rock.

And good luck to Zooey on the baby delivery front!

8:25 a.m.  
Blogger Melly said...

After all of your hard work you totally deserve to work part time---you've earned the time to yourself. Play, play, play! K, but if you can't just use the other 17.5 hours to play then I will of course support you in your search for a second job :)

4:46 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

That is a busy life! Good grief. Also, don't think bad for 'only' working 20 hours. My next job will 'only' be 21.6 hours a week (contact time, at least!).

11:30 a.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

You'll find things to fill up the time. I have to get used to working "only" 40 hours a week every April, but I manage to fill the time.

6:56 a.m.  
Blogger Eileen said...

Good luck to Zooey. My sister's baby is due today and the same thing's been happening to her. Partly because of me! I keep calling her up, but it's just because I get bored easily, and since she's on maternity leave, I know she's in for a chat!

5:27 a.m.  
Anonymous Nathan said...

It can't work as a matter of fact, that is what I consider.
kia dealerships in dallas | limo services denver | staffing agency

8:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home